Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Why my family owes Barack Obama

If Barack Obama came to our house, we should probably all give him a hug. First because he's a good guy and second because he's helping my dad stay in work. To explain:

So I've been worried for a while about my dad losing his job for a while. Not for any reason in particular. There were certainly no specific signs to indicate that this would happen apart from the general economic downturn and a vague idea that Browning Arms had slowly been losing work over the past few years, even though I wasn't at all sure of the latter idea. I know that Browning definitely has its niche in the gun market. Especially in Argentina, where all the police officers used (and as far as I know use) Browning pistols. Luckily I have been more than reassured by stories such as this and this. I don't know a whole lot about the stock market, but with my limited knowledge, I could not find any information on Browning Stock. I have a pretty good hunch, however that it is doing well, at least compared to most stocks out there. Arms sales are definitely not recession proof, but they might be recession-during-a-democratic-presidency proof.

So thanks, President Obama, for inspiring fear in the hearts of many gun owners and keeping my dad in a job.

PS I'm sorry if this article hurts anyone if my dad does end up losing his job. Trust me, I'll feel bad. I would knock on wood if I were superstitious. Good thing I'm not.

PSS I am for gun control, generally, but I'm more for having my dad having a job (within reason, of course [if the government started up a policy of selling Browning guns to terrorists in the United States I would favor gun control over my dads job; also I want gun control to be implemented within reason and pragmatically]). Just thought I would clear that up.

3 comments:

  1. Clever. But if the conservatives' fears are realized and Obama starts targeting gun control, legal gun sales will be hurt and more gun companies will go under (like Winchester). At that point, the option for your dad may be to get work in the illegal gun market, which expands every time more gun control legislation is passed. The money is better there, but there is a lot of violence - one reason gun control concerns me.

    Liberals accept this argument when it comes to abortion - that making it illegal drives it underground, making it more unsafe. They don't seem to buy it for gun control, where responsible gun owners are targeted and those who commit crimes with guns are unaffected (at best) or enriched (at worst).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not for removing everyone's arms. The government's history of prohibition is wanting. The line has to be sufficient and intelligent enough controls in place to keep legally obtained arms out of the hands of criminals while keeping an underground market from forming. At least any more of an underground market than would form anyway. Just like you're always saying, cost vs. benefit. By being in favor of gun control I mean I think the market would be fine with more regulation and less crazies and less accidental deaths would occur.

    And I don't imagine Obama touching gun control until after the recession, if ever. There's not much popular support behind anything but very small increases in regulation, I feel.

    ReplyDelete