Thursday, June 18, 2009

If not for the mutant bacteria, do it for the dolphins

Read a great reason to drop the triclosans here.

Two things about the article make it less impressive than we would like: (1) To hurt the dolphins, you have to be on the coast (2) No one is sure if Triclosan actually harms dolphins and doesn't just keep their insides bacteria free (come to think of it, that would probably harm them quite a bit, if their stomachs are anything like humans'). But, come on, they're dolphins! Do you really want to kill the dolphins just to save some time washing your hands? We don't.

3 comments:

  1. Caitlin, you exhaust me. Are you tired? I'm get tired just reading your blog sometimes, and I've been to the ER twice this month dealing with stitches in the forehead of my 18 month old (which was followed by glasses and patching) and a broken arm in my four year old. But still, you can manage to exhaust me.
    I think you need to come vacation with me and relax. (or maybe all your researching and ranting is your relaxing to you?)

    anyway, I can't remember if I've sent this to you, but you should check out www.birthandbaby.com
    The owner used to be in my ward and she is all natural, home births all the way. She just delivered her two daughters' babies- at home (one who lives in UT) and she plans on stimulating her milk production so she can nurse her grandchildren when she babysits (because formula is evil). I think you'd like her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, this is Tim's post! But yes, actually, all of this researching is quite therapeutic for me. It keeps me distracted when I'm up at 2 in the morning from insomnia. I've looked at this lady's blog before. I like a lot of her all-natural stuff... but the stimulating to breastfeed her grandkids-- why don't her daughters just pump and send over the milk when she babysits??

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah, that was Tim's post. sorry, well, he exhausts me too :) (between the broken arm and the baby glasses, I didn't manage to notice who was posting :)

    yeah- I don't know about the stimulating vs. pumping. maybe she just really likes to nurse...

    and I bet I could cure your insomnia. come spend a week at my house. by the time the kids are in bed, you are falling asleep on your feet (haha)

    ReplyDelete