Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another one of my fears realized

I have a few irrational fears. Grates for example. Stepping on cracks. Another: elevators. Nearly every time I step onto an elevator my palms get a little sweaty, and if it's a long elevator ride, my heart starts to thump. I don't know what it is about elevators, but something about being suspended by a cable utterly freaks me out.

So, tonight, my fear became a reality for me. I was riding the elevator up to the 4th floor where I live. Jolly old good time, I was exhausted, I'd been working all day, and it was close to 9 pm. All of a sudden, it lurches to a stop shy of the floor I'm going to. Cue panic. I start hyperventilating, just waiting to crash to my doom. I get my wits about me and sound the alarm and call the people. The stupid intercom wasn't working properly so I couldn't really hear the nice elevator lady's instructions. I start crying and hyperventilating a little more, then I start shedding my clothes because I realize I'm having a panic attack and being hot and in constricting clothes makes it worse. I call Tim, and a crowd gathers outside. I can hear voices calling to me and yell back that I'm fine, no worries, just a little stuck. I talk to the nice lady some more and follow her instructions. Miraculously, what feels like an eternity later, the elevator begins to move again and takes me down to the floor I started on. When I tell her it's moving again and the door is opening, she tells me to get out, quick! Since some of my clothes and my bags and other random assortments of things I was carrying are on the floor now, I scramble to pick them all up and practically fall out of the elevator. I'm sure I was quite the sight, being all hysterical and disheveled.

From now on, I'm taking the stairs. I hope stairs don't = pre-term labor.

7 comments:

  1. My irrational fear is that a fork will be forgotten in the garbage disposal and the next time I use it it will come out spinning and hit me (forky side first, of course) in the eye.
    ... I hope it doesn't come true. I always check for forks just in case.
    I'm also irrationally afraid of balloons.

    There, feel better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't like the garbage disposal either! After that episode of Heroes when Claire sticks her hand down there... ew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am afraid of elevators, garbage disposals, train tracks, and, of course, heights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh train tracks! I'm afraid of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was it your mother who made you so paranoid?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment was actually me...your mother.

    ReplyDelete