Sunday, June 7, 2009

Memorizing the apostles


Someone told me once, or I read once, that the best way to memorize who the Twelve Apostles of our church are is to break them up into groups of threes and find some way to remember each group. When the apostles were the same for somewhere around 7 years under President Hinckley, I had them down: Packer parries Nelson; Old Band Wagon; SHH; and Ever Under Battle. But now I'm trying to solidify the new ones. Packer Perries Nelson is the same. I just imagine Elder Packer and Elder Nelson in a sword fight and Packer parries Nelson. That would be something worth seeing. Old Band Wagon (Oaks Ballard Wirthlin) is now OBS (Oaks Ballard Scott), like short for obstetrician, I guess I've been thinking about birth a lot. SHH (Scott Hales Holland) as in be quiet is now Holy Holy Bednar (Hales Holland Bednar), because he seems so holy. And Ever Under Battle (Eyring Uchtdorf Bednar) is now the Cooking Chefs Association (Cook Christofferson Anderson) which is funny because it borders on redundant

I am, however, open to suggestions. I am a little afraid that Holy Holy Bednar sounds a little irreverent, even though its not, because I'm sure he is a very holy person. Any ideas?

And I secretly hope that the color of the ties in this photo shows political party leanings, but I doubt it. Elder Packer would be part of the black tie party. I don't know what that would mean.

2 comments:

  1. Tune of "O My Darling Clementine":

    Monson, Eyring, Uchtdorf, Packer

    Perry, Nelson, Oaks, and Ballard,

    Scott, Hales, Holland,

    Bednar, Cook, Christofferson,

    and Andersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, this gave me a good chuckle. I don't know if it was supposed to, but you are hilarious and it was good for me today. thanks. Particularly: "Elder Packer would be part of the black tie party. I don't know what that would mean."

    -melissa

    ReplyDelete