Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Childbirth rant

The other day, one of the other interns asked me if I was planning on being induced. Like it was a conscious decision I will make early in pregnancy. Last year in my family ward, I was sitting in Relief Society when several pregnant women and a few with new babies were talking induction as well-- the new moms were raving about their inductions and asking the pregnant women if they planned on it. I know most of my friends didn't choose their induction dates (I imagine most of these women were birthing at Utah Valley), but it's actually becoming the norm. That is very scary to me. For multiple reason... one, being that induction isn't without risks and isn't something that should be done just for the sake of it. Pitocin is a serious drug; it makes your contractions harder and longer with very little space between them. Because there are no breaks like in normal labor, the baby does not have time to recover in between, leading to a drop in heart rate and fetal distress. Not to mention, the pain of induced contractions is way more intense, and dedicated women that are trying for a medication-free delivery often can't handle the more intense pain.

I know there are cases when inductions are necessary: when you are two weeks or more past your due date for example or there are complications like pre-eclampsia or gestational diabetes. But inductions for the sake of inductions... and the increasingly common use of pitocin... that is scary stuff.

And while we're on a childbirth rant: epidurals. The more I've been reading about them, the more I don't want one! I think it's weird how people are telling me how brave I am to do it natural, how they could never do it, and so on, but I think you are brave for letting a needle/catheter get that close to your spinal cord without freaking out! A spinal cord is a delicate thing. I like my body functioning just the way it is functioning. Epidurals are not without risks either, but I think they have become so commonplace nowadays that women don't realize the risks. Not only do they have medical risks, they also interfere with your body's normal birthing hormones. The pain of childbirth works with your brain to release a series of hormones that facilitate labor and delivery of a baby. When it's functioning properly, the pain send messages to the brain to release endorphins, a natural pain-killer. Epidurals inhibit the release of these endorphins, yummy feel-good pain-killing hormones, as well as oxytocin, the uterus contractor and love hormone. Epidurals administered early in labor will slow it down or stall it completely because it messes with oxytocin, in which case, then a woman will be given artificial oxytocin (pitocin) to speed it back up. Vicious cycle. Unmedicated birthing women also get a surge of hormones right at the actual moment of birth of their baby, which results in an ecstatic moment that is unmatched by any other moment in the woman's life. Her hormones are higher at that moment and the hour after birth than at any other time in her life. I want that delicious, ecstatic experience! But so many women don't know these things, or don't want to feel the pain, or just listen to their doctors recommendations and aren't empowered to give birth the way Heavenly Father designed our bodies to do it!

For example, my sister just said she figured of course she would get one with her first baby. Her labor was short, her baby was tiny, I have complete faith that she could have prepped herself a little and done it natural, but it was never even a question in her mind that she would have an epidural because everyone was having them. As a result, she couldn't push effectively and had an episiotomy for a 4 lb some oz baby. Oh goodness. Let's not get started on episiotomies (for those who don't know--that's basically when the caregiver cuts from the vagina to the rectum to increase the amount of room for the baby to get out). If for some reason I end up in a hospital during my birth (oh, we think we're doing it at home now, another blogpost for another time), if any doctor gets anywhere close to my vagina with scissors, my husband has been given strict instructions to push him/her away. The WHO has come out with evidence that episiotomies are far more hurtful than they are helpful, and most OB/GYNs will not even routinely cut them anymore due to current recommendations. However, there are some practioners that have 90%-100% episiotomy rates still! How a person can ignore the evidence so blatantly I will not understand.

Which now brings me to VBACs: a few decades ago, VBACs were the norm. Then, in 1995 I believe, the ACOG came out with a statement recommending repeat cesareans and also requiring readied surgical teams in every hospital that allows VBACz. This means that any woman who wants one in a smaller, community hospital will not be able to get one because rarely do these hospitals have the capabilities to have a surgical team ready at all times. This subject can kind of be a touchy one as well: there are risks associated with VBAC and they sound really gruesome. Again with the evidence, but it shows that the risks associated with repeat cesareans are higher than those associated with VBACs because the risk of uterine rupture is incredibly tiny, and the risk that the uterine rupture will harm your baby is even smaller. If the woman has a double-stitched, low-transverse uterine incision for her cesarean, the risk of rupture is even smaller. Some doctors are doing single-stitching now though because it takes less time and uses less material-- if you're having a c-section because of a complication, make sure you demand double-stitching! The risk of uterine rupture also SIGNIFICANTLY increases when the woman is administered pitocin or other labor-stimulating drugs. Since pitocin makes contractions stronger, it puts more pressure on the uterine scar. Oh, and a note about the 1995 decision reversal on VBAC by the ACOG: there were a series of uterine ruptures in like Massachusetts and litigation and ruined doctors... but then they realized that almost every single one had been administered Cytotec, which has been proven to result in rupture. Even with this knowledge, the ACOG stuck with their decision.

End rant. And just a disclaimer before the attacks begin... I recognize that childbirth can be just as health-hazardous as ecstatic and beautiful. There is a lot that can go wrong in pregnancy and childbirth. There is low fluid or fetal growth restriction or huge babies or labor that lasts for days and doesn't progress. I'm not saying that modern medicine is not wonderful in preventing maternal mortality. OB/GYNs are awesome. But they are surgeons. They are trained to find complications and treat them. And 90% of pregnancies and births are uncomplicated. Yet these women are still being treated by the surgeons trained to find something wrong so they can fix it. I would love to see more support for midwives and more faith in their care in our country. Because in addition to the toll our system is taking on women's bodies as well as women's experiences with how they feel about their bodies, it's also taking a huge toll on our healthcare system. I believe that birth is the highest grossing medical procedure in our system... it makes the most money for hospitals. There are SO many vested interests at play here, be it the for-profit businesses of doctors and hospitals or the insurance companies. If more midwives were attending normal, healthy pregnancies and births and less unnecessary interventions were being used, millions if not billions of dollars would be saved by individuals as well as by the government from programs like Medicaid. And I'm not saying we should skimp to save money on such an important thing as maternal health. What I am saying, is we could saving money and improving outcomes. The WHO recommends an optimal c-section rate of 10-15%. Ours is upwards of 30%. It's ironic that a majority of c-sections are "emergencies" but take place right before dinnertime. But doctors are people too... and the idea of 15-minute surgery and being home for dinner with your family (as well as the decreased chance of being sued for malpractice) is appealing I'm sure. We put so much faith and trust in doctors that we rarely question them. Heck, I let a stupid resident in the ER give me a completely unnecessary x-ray a few weeks ago because I was too stupid to actually speak up because I just wanted them to fix me. I think it's time though, that women reclaim birth from doctors. We need to trust our bodies! Do a little research, read a few books, look at the evidence and research especially. You'd be really surprised at what you find.

And if you support the idea that women should be able to choose where they birth (be it hospital or birthing center or home) and their caregiver, join the campaign! This is specifically for government-funded programs, allowing women on Medicaid to be able to choose out-of-hospital births. With the healthcare reform on the horizon (God help us), we want Medicaid to provide reimbursement for CPMs as well as CNMs and MDs. Right now, Medicaid will not pay for most birth centers or home births... but if they did, and women chose them, it would save lots and lots of money as I mentioned earlier.

13 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo! Totally with you. Honestly, I'm SO glad to know there are people who believe like I do. I usually keep my mouth shut for fear of being attacked or accused of not knowing what I'm talking about because I've never had a baby. Hope your natural birth goes well - I think that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so nervous about having my next one. I feel like my c-section limited my options for future births so much. Reading about VBAC has me totally terrified too..uterine rupture pretty much sounds like the worst thing I can imagine. Fortunately, my doctor does do VBAC but I'll have to have an IV "just in case" and be monitored the whole time and all kinds of other things that I'd have opted out of the first time if things hadn't gone south. Bah. Stinking fluid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for saying a lot of things I feel and know about the realities of modern childbirth. You should attend a birth conference. I think Midwifery Today puts one on and they had one just a few months ago in Eugene, but I missed it.

    Reading about cesareans and epidurals struck a chord because I had both of those with Bou because of complications out of my hands. In the back of my mind and for almost 2 years now I have been saying I can do VBAC but feel like it is still scary. They never told me what stitch they did on me while I was basically unconscious with no baby in my arms. They never assured me I would be able to birth naturally. And look how they are scaring all women out of natural births. Inductions are up to yahoo and I don't get it either. All I know is it is against my will and many natural and birth conscious going mothers out there.

    We must put the power back in the hands of parents and believe our bodies can and should deserve better and natural care.

    I have faith that our country will change the health system for the better. Give us time and let us write our senators and speak up just like this. Word Caitlin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure thinking VBAC is a lot scarier and a way more difficult decision than I can imagine. You should read the VBAC section in "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth". Out of all the VBACs they did at the Farm (home births...), only two women out of some hundred something were not successful, only meaning that they were transformed to the hospital for an additional c-section just to be safe, not because there was a serious complication. All moms and babies were totally healthy. Read the stats about it, and read successful stories., and find a provider that not only simply performs VBACs but believes in them-- definitely ask your doctor's rates before you choose him. A doctor may "do VBACs" but then not actually really help you follow through. And Kayla, I would ask for a hep-lock IV rather than one that will have you tied down in bed. It's just as quick to get you hooked up and ready to go for an emergency but without the strings attached. Also, intermittent monitoring is just as effective as continuous EFM! You should question the policies and see if you can negotiate something so you can move around more in labor (which will help you progress faster and help you have a more successful VBAC).

    ReplyDelete
  5. And by transformed to the hospital, I meant transported.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking that you should probably write for a magazine or a journal or something! You're very right about how much money hospitals and doctors are making of of child birth. It really is incredible how far the grip of the pharmaceutical industry has on doctors and patients especially. I'm all for reappropriating funds and reform. It just takes a lot of work that people aren't willing to do. That's why I wish I was grown up already so I could get down there and do the work for them, or they would take me seriously with just a BA.

    I know people who do articles on the side and make a little side money while working on other things (or running after babies!)

    You are a wonderful writer and I most definitely enjoy reading you and tim's posts! I can't say it enough. I wonder how many people visit your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. VBAC's are scary! I am scared to death about having one! Luckily my doctor reassures me every time that it will be okay and he will be there and he WANTS me to have one. We talk about it monthly lol.
    You have a ton of good information and I always enjoy readying up on it! I am glad you are so well informed!
    One thing though I liked my drugs they saved my life while in labor with Jackie, darn stupid back labor about killed me so i will be getting them again, and hoping that this baby does not get an infection and can handle birth, and well that i do not chicken out and get a c-section :) some reason recovering from a VBAC sounds worse to me....don't ask me why just sounds a little scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think for the most part you are right. but, you have to be open-minded, Cait. You can read about the pain of childbirth and the endorphins your body naturally releases, but there is only so much you can read and learn about childbirth until you actually experience it for yourself. I am grateful that we live in a day with options. Mortality rate associated with childbirth is SO LOW compared to 100 years ago, its amazing. I think there is a place for midwives and doctors in this day. I am curious to see how your birthing experience goes.
    But, having said all of that, I think there are way more options than are initially presented and more should be done to let women (especially new mothers) know about all of her options.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been strangely interested in childbirth, even though I'm no where close to experiencing one. In reading through different birth stories (both natural and not), it seems like the most important thing is to be aware of your options. You've obviously got that area covered very well, but as you know, you're one of few. It's sad that modern medicinal myths and insurance companies have backed women into a corner where they don't have the ability to choose whatever option will be best for them.
    If this is still an issue thirty years from now when I'm some famous politician, be sure to call me up and remind me to take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll just post this for Cait, Sera, since Cait wont be in tonight. You really shouldn't consider your interest in childbirth as strange. In my opinion, giving birth is the most amazing thing that any human being is capable of. If I could do something so cool, I would be fascinated with it too. What is strange to me is how little some women (and men) are fascinated with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever considered a home birth with a trained professional midwife? That would give you the lowest rate of intervention and c-section possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yeah, we've considered it. Actually, the possibility of a home birth is going up pretty quickly right now, especially after Cait read Ina May Gaskin's book. Cait's a little scared to do it on her first birth, but her biggest problem with it is that Medicaid wont cover it. So if anyone would like to contribute to our home birth fund, we'll reward you with an invitation to come watch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with you!I think about how many women are happy with their inductions and i try to explain some of the reasons they aren't smart. Of course i had one... but i really didn't have any choice at that point. i had to give up one right to save another. frustrating. But i have never considered not VBACing and i so frustrated by the fact that hospitals no longer like them. grr. they are so much safer and smarter than a repeat cesearan! I'm hoping to try to homebirth also next time--or at least a birth center. now on to convincing the husband.. :) good luck though!!

    ReplyDelete