Monday, June 8, 2009

Pregnancy (thusfar)

I wanted to post a little about my pregnancy thusfar, mostly so I can remember it and keep things in mind when I'm weighing the pros and cons of having another. And since my second trimester is quickly coming to an end, it'll be nice to look back with fondness on these days. Right?


1st Trimester:

* We found out we were pregnant the second week of winter semester. I kind of knew I was before the test was positive. Even though we had a negative test earlier that week and I was having what felt like pre-menstrual cramps, I just knew something was different. Lo and behold... baby.

* The first person we told was my sister Lauren. We called her as soon as we found out. I'm not the kind of person to wait and share good news. Even though I was barely into things, we told most people right away (within that week at least). I know some people don't like to share the news for fear of miscarriage, but I figured if that happened, we'd just update everyone. I wasn't too worried about it though-- I'm go with the flow on most things and figure there is a plan for us all.

* I thought pregnancy was awesome-- for about a week. I felt great, I went running, I rededicated myself to veganism. And then I started puking. I'm not exactly sure what day or week it hit me but UGH. I was so. sick. It was miserable. I threw up a good six times a day or so for at least a month. I tried everything: I started natural with ginger and teas; moved to Saltines; Vitamin B6 and Unisom; Phenergan; then finally to Zofran. Nothing helped. I think the Zofran might have a little bit, but I think by the time I had it I was past the worst of my nausea. I would get really sick whenever we came home at night. The bus ride was always the worst, and then walking past all the fast food restaurants on State St. got me everytime. Sorry about the puke on the side of the road during January-March. That was me.


2nd trimester:

* I pee constantly. That's the most annoying thing about being pregnant at this stage for me (which I am SO, SO grateful for!! I read all this about heartburn, constipation, pre-eclampsia, swelling, aching, etc. but I have luckily not suffered any of these... knock on wood). I wake up every two hours without fail, and I go about every hour at work. When I first moved to this office I was scared the people at the front desk would think I had a bladder issue or explosive diarrhea or something. Then, luckily, I started showing and they figured out I was pregnant. I pee everywhere too, it's been interesting when real restrooms are not available. I relieved myself behind some trees in the middle of Philadelphia because we were with a group and I didn't want everyone to have to walk and find a ladies room for me. Tim just stood watch (oh, and took a picture because he thought it was funny). Fortunately, I had some crazy days as a teenager at random drinking parties in the woods where I learned how to pop a squat.

* It took a while to feel the baby move and I kept convincing myself that our baby didn't have any limbs (what combination of medicines mimics thalidomide...?) In fact, we were sitting in our apartment in Washington, so it was well into my second trimester. I think it was probably around 23 or 24 weeks. I love feeling him move. I think it's really cool.

* I had my first "stranger touching my belly without asking" experience last week. And I liked it! Maybe it'll get old, but I think it's so cool that my cashier at Trader Joe's reached out and touched the little guy. I felt awesome and connected and part of this greater community of mothers than I could comprehend. I hope more women continue to do it. Thanks, Betty. That made my day.

* My breasts are leaking. I only figured this out because I was watching a video on how to self-express and thought I would practice. Then stuff came out. Oops. Tim thinks it's really funny and tries to squeeze them all the time. Apparently if you leak it means you'll be a stellar breastfeeder though, so I have no complaints with this one :)

* I've learned that I'm kind of a fatalist. Every little Braxton-Hicks contraction (which I have frequently) makes me think I'm in pre-term labor. I'm not paranoid, I just think I read too much about complications and so I'm convinced that I will have them. That, and before I was pregnant, I was so confident about my ability to be pregnant that I'm sure Heavenly Father wants to humble me somehow. I'm just waiting for it to happen...

* I've started to love pregnancy again. I've been walking 3 miles a day, eating better, and really enjoying this stage of my life. Even though work is sometimes hard on my body and my mind, I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Sometimes I think it was the stupidest idea ever to up and leave in the middle of pregnancy and move across the country temporarily, but I think we'll look back and realize it's worth it. We've had quite the battle with insurance and finding prenatal care, but in the end, we're having an awesome time in the nation's capitol. There is so much to do and see, and we will never live in a better location in DC ever again for this cheap.


3rd trimester: Bring it on.

5 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your pregnancy. Probably because I am living vicariously through you in this area. I'm glad DC is treating you well - I'll be in MD this weekend if you want to get together. I think I have a bridal shower on Saturday, but it's in Howard County. Anyway, if you wanted to come and could get there, let me know via email and I'll send you the deets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pregnancy is something else, isn't it!? All of the puking, peeing, and achiness is worth it when you feel your baby moving around in your stomach. What a great feeling :) You'll have to post some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to read this blog while eating dinner.

    I don't know why I kept reading past the puking part...or the peeing part...and especially the expressing part.

    Just a glutton for punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caitlin!
    Thank you soo much for breaking the silence about so many things that women don't feel ok to talk about. So liberating and refreshing, placing pregnancy in the middle of life again and not something that needs to be hidden. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Christopher. Maybe I should put warnings at the top of my posts?

    ReplyDelete