Thursday, April 30, 2009

I love being a pregnant woman in a man's world: Part 1

We're living in the Barlow Center in Washington, DC, home to not only BYU interns but also the Washington DC institute and center for public and international affairs for the Church. The other day, I went to find an ethernet cord so we could access the internet in our room and I was pulled into the institute director's office because he wanted to meet me. I obliged, and introduced myself. We began casually chatting about my internship and my future career goals (think grad school, etc). At some point, I mentioned that I was pregnant, and his whole demeanor changed. He asked me if I planned on pursuing said career goals (which, honestly, change quite often so who knows if I actually will) now that I was pregnant. I replied that I planned on it, to which he basically stated that should I choose to not be a stay-at-home, I will jeopardize my children's future. He apparently did his dissertation on such-and-such family research and found that mothers who work tend to have children that do drugs and engage in premarital sex. Ok. I get it, day care, nannies, not the right thing for most. I retorted that our children will always have one of us (meaning a father or mother) caring for them. To which he came back with the notion that my husband would not have the skills (because he's a man) to raise our children. Because, men aren't nurturing, right? I told them co-parenting has worked for many families, with very positive results including the wife and mother making a contribution to the world and the father knowing his children as well as his counterpart. To which he shoved the Proclamation off his wall and into my face. To which I told him that I knew what it said and I had thought deeply about those words. His reply: "That's your problem, you need to do less thinking and more praying."

Why this little encounter upsets me SO MUCH:

a) This man does not know me. He is not my spiritual leader, he has no right to tell me what to do. He had no right to tell me that I need to completely change my life now that I'm married and pregnant.

b) When men (or women for that matter) are staring me down and telling me things like this, I CAN'T TALK BACK. I am horrible at defending myself and my positions, I think mostly for fear of brutal retaliation. And this man is very, very intimidating.
c) He also stated that the US has good reasons to not ratifying CEDAW and members of the Church should not support such a family-demeaning institution.

d) I want to do something about it, I want him to be corrected, I want a General Authority to call him up and tell him that he's wrong, that everyone is entitled to personal revelation about their lives and families and he is not entitled to receive that revelation for MY family. I want to tell him that all people, no matter members of the Church or not, are entitled to live their lives genuinely, and if Heavenly Father wants me to be a political scientist/public health guru/midwife/WHATEVER then I should not be told that I will hurt my children and that I'm being selfish and listening to the world (which is pretty much the gist of what he said to me).

e) I don't want him to be able to say the same things to other women.

f) I think it's offensive to my husband to say that he does not have the capacity to be as nurturing and as loving and is as capable of raising our children as me. If anything, barring the birthing and the breastfeeding, I'd argue that Tim is just as capable of such a thing, and I think what hurts me most in this whole exchange was that my husband has to be outside the home to make his contribution to our family.

g) I've worked my butt off for 16+ years in school, slaving away at honors classes, multiple minors in college, internships, etc. because I like to accomplish things. I like to work hard, I like to learn, I like to contribute, I like to research. I don't think being a woman and particularly a mother makes me any less entitled to reap what I have sown with all of this hard work. And I'm smart damnit! And I've worked hard! Don't you tell me that I'm not allowed to pursue further education and potentially a career that will benefit society as well as my family!! And don't try to guilt trip me into giving it all up! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT.

End rant.

13 comments:

  1. GAG DEATH BLEH. Where do those attitudes COME from?? Seriously. It's 2009. Where have you BEEN?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig and I reply with..."Can I get an Amen? Amen Sister!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. In addition to what Kaity just posted, I have two comments:

    1) You are completely correct, so stay true to your principle and don't be shaken by nay sayers or by people whose understanding of the gospel is somewhat lacking.

    2) I think both you and Tim will be great parents. If Tim is anything like me, he'll be grateful for your career because it will let him stay at home as much as possible with your kids. I'm glad that Kaity is a photographer so that I can be a stay-at-home dad once in a while. I'm doing all I can to work from home so that I don't miss out on all the fun.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those people make me laugh. Literally. I have laughed in their faces, loudly, and it shuts them right up. Don't give it a second thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't believe he said those things to you! thats so ridiculous. you are so right and don't listen to him! you will be a great mom no matter if you go on to grad school or whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW that makes me SO angry!! Just because a kid stays home with there dad does not mean they are going to be any less then what they can be! Jackie has been at home with Derek while I have worked her whole life, and she is one of the sweetest, smartest, most loving kids you will see! And you know what its right for us, I hate it when people say that, I have heard it too many times while i have been working while having a child, i am sure i will always have to work along with Derek, but you know what as long as our kids our home with us they will be just fine!
    I think you guys will be great parents! Accomplish what you and Tim feel is right for your family, after all you two are the ones who would know that not some idiot in Washington DC!
    Sorry you have to but up with that! Say something! Stand up for us working women!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you go girlfriend! You should have told him to shove it. seriously, "when you become a general authority, we'll talk, until then, its my child and only me and my husband can receive revelation on how to raise it right."

    ReplyDelete
  8. He had absolutely no right to say those things to you. That's between you, Tim, the Lord, and whoever else is entitled to receive revelation for your family, i.e. NOT THAT GUY. What's his name? I will seriously call him. I want to ask Stephanie if she knows him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you tell me that I'm not allowed to pursue further education and potentially a career that will benefit society as well as my family!



    - AMEN.

    We are all apart of community and equals and oh my dear lord, I can't even begin to tell you how infuriating that man has made me. I can't even begin to express my frustration on the matter.
    Caitlin you do what you do to the best of both of your abilities and it will be more than the majority of children in the US receives. You guys are awesome and keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! All I can say is how sad...him and his wife will miss out on so much the Gospel has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a jerk!!!! who does he think he is to tell you and tim how to raise your kids? i think that there are certain things that a mother is better at and certain things that a father is better at, but a dad is perfectly capable of sharing the responsibility of raising his kids or either being a stay at a home parent. That guy apparently isn`t as much as an expert as he thinks he is, because I know of moms who stayed at home and their kids did drugs and engaged in premarital sex. Each set of parents will do what is best for their family and it is up to them to decide what that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beautiful scarf. Did I buy that for you???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahem. Not to rain on anyone's rant, but to you commenters who call this man a jerk who is missing out on the gospel: isn't that a little like telling a bright young woman that her husband can't raise their child. A little close minded.

    Cait, we've never met, but it appears we have several mutual friends. I just wanted to tell you that, from your posts, I think you would make a fabulous midwife. Someone who could really be trusted to care for another in such a special occasion. You've got me considering a natural birth more than ever before.

    I hope you don't feel alone in this struggle of where your God-given talents can best be used. You are not. I also hope that men like this don't ever make you feel like you have to prove something. Some people make decisions based on proving someone else wrong, but you don't have anything to prove. As others have commented, let God guide that decision. Once you've got that confirmation, it won't matter what others say, and maybe it won't hurt as much when others don't understand. Truth be told, there are times when both working moms and stay-at-home moms wich they could be the other. But it helps when you know you're doing God's will.

    p.s. any news on the circumcision decision? I've been reading like crazy on both sides of the issue, but there are so many studies that contridict each other. just wondering...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete