Thursday, April 30, 2009

Library

I went to the library yesterday, and this is my list of books:

1. Birth: The Surprising History of how we are Born
2. Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali
3. Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
4. The Prenatal Prescription
5. Three Cups of Tea
6. Carmelo (on Today's Book Club list)

In my Netflix queue: Orgasmic Childbirth (which there is a "Very Long Wait" for, the first I've ever seen)

Can you tell what I am preoccupied with a little?? I want to learn as much about birth as humanly possible. Then I want to give birth. Then I want to be a midwife. Forget political science and foreign policy and business as usual. I want to be a midwife. This week at least.

3 comments:

  1. Did I tell you about my Welsh friend who had an at-home hypno-birth? She said it was amazing and she didn't feel any pain. She's having her second child soon and is doing the same thing--I thought that was awesome. Is that common? I had never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I'm reading Three Cups of Tea (but not the holistic birth book- no thanks- to pregnancy in general, that is). anyway, do you like Three Cups of Tea? Its great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've probably already read this one Caitlin but I really like Birthing from Within by Pam England and The Birth Partner by Penny Simkins is great one too. I'm actually writing a paper on Orgasmic Birth for a graduate class right now and there are some REALLY interesting comments about it (well mostly the idea of it) here (sorry I don't know how to embed it): http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/orgasms-during-childbirth/?scp=1&sq=orgasmic+birth&st=cse&apage=2#comments

    ReplyDelete