Friday, April 10, 2009

Voting procedure

Today was the day we voted at MUN. What a horrendous day it was.

Anyone that has ever done MUN knows just how frustrating this can be. Now, let's pretend you're on a committee with, oh, 300 people. You have to individually convince all of these people that your draft resolution is the greatest thing in the entire, entire world. They have to vote on it, it's in their country's interest, oh that little clause doesn't actually mean that. After you go through that fun for a few hours, and get yelled at, mocked, or ridiculed by a few college students who think that the whole game is actually real and will affect more than just an announcement of best delegate at a dinky ceremony on Saturday (in fact, not just affect more, but like, completely alter the way world politics occur.... but oh wait, the real UN doesn't even really do that), you get the fun of going into "voting procedure". Now, in voting procedure, there is no talking, no moving, no passing notes, no leaving and coming back, no laughing, nothing on your desks except the resolutions. This can take about an hour or so. On a committee with 300 people.... 300 OBNOXIOUS people... this took FOUR HOURS. People want roll call votes. People want to take out clauses, make amendments, correct the chair on EVERYTHING. So, about two hours in, I left. Mostly because I had to pee. SO BAD. I hadn't drank anything for hours in preparation for voting procedure, but it did not work. So, I left and was not permitted to come back (I actually explained to our director that I was pregnant and may need to do so, and could I come back in because come on, I'm PREGNANT? Nope. Marginalizing mothers, once again). So I left. And I'm kind of glad I did. Because if some stupid delegate had called for another stupid roll call vote on another meaningless resolution, I was going to scream.

Other than that, MUN has been fun! And we get three more hours of voting tomorrow, but this time at the real UN, so that might be cool....

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really painful and obnoxious to sit through. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They wouldn't let you back in after you peed?!? I'm not pregant, and almost every hour I need to answer a call of nature. That's just inhumane.

    ReplyDelete