Sunday, April 5, 2009

New York City: Day 2

Highlights because I really need to write my econometrics paper and it's 1:30 in the morning...

1. Conference at the temple/chapel right across from Julliard.
2. Chinatown: a) Buddhist Temple, biggest Buddha statue in NYC. b) DELICIOUS dumplings. c) Tranfiguration Catholic Church. d) 90-degree angle side street designed to keep the ghosts out.
3. Central Park. Tons of people out because it was the first sunny day in a long time. There was a skating rink. That is really, really inefficient.
4. Ending up on the East side instead of the West. Park Avenue, Madison Avenue, I forgot people could be so rich. Holy cow.
5. Fireside.
6. Plan A: Harlem jazz club in some basement. Closed for renovations. Plan B: Senegalese food. Ridiculously long wait, but DANG good chicken and couscous. And there was a picture of a breastfeeding woman on the wall. One of the guys in our group commented that the guys should sit opposite ways facing it. I lectured him that breastfeeding was not obscene. Later I find out he's allergic to peanuts, lima beans, among other things. He probably wasn't breastfed.
7. Subway to Carnegie Deli. $9 cheesecake, but I made Tim split it three ways with two other girls because it was so expensive, I don't like cheesecake, and I'm a mean, mean wife.
8. Back to the hotel: 1 am. Not tired in the least, but need to write this paper!!

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the museums! They are voluntary donations, so My friend Meagen and I usually just give a dollar, even though it says a donation of like 25 or something. It's the thought that counts!

    Hooray for NYC! It's a little to big for me, only nice for a visit, that's why I Love Boston, you can walk anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds like so much fun thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i found your blog through the ward blog and wanted to say hello. i hope you have fun in new york- i love that city.

    ReplyDelete