Monday, August 1, 2011

Road Trip 2011 Days: 4 and 5

Friday, after I woke up early to watch TV and eat breakfast with all the kids (which was an every day occurence)

we worked on unloading the car and sorting out which stuff was staying with Lauren, we went outside to ride bikes (another common occurrence) and playing at the park. Gavin was just learning to ride and Megan was reacquainting herself with the bike after a long absence, which was fun to see. We ate dinner at Cait's cousin Shay's and the kid enjoyed the high-end playset and muddy patches in the backyard and we enjoyed good tacos and brownies. Christopher (Lauren's husband) came back that night and started helping me fix the car window.

The car window would end up being a two-night project. At first we tried to isolate the problem (the regulator motor), and see if we could fix it. We couldn't so we ordered the part and picked it up the next day (Saturday) and installed it Saturday night. It was a difficult process and I had no idea what I was doing, but luckily Christopher and the internet did. Here's a video if you want to get the idea. It all went really well, except (we learned once we left) we didn't reattach the latch to the inner door handle, so now we have to roll down the window and open it from the outside after driving. I'll fix that sometime soon.

Saturday, Cait went with Allison to the local farmers' market, where they bought a bunch of fruit and hotdogs for the kids. Theo's cousin ate much more and stayed awake much longer. Oh well. (Check out the double Bob, I ran with it a little and it worked great).

I stayed back and rode bikes, along with Chris and their oldest boy.

In the afternoon I went to play softball with Christopher and his Elder's Quorom and Cait and Allison brought the kids to watch. We didn't have enough players but it worked fine anyway. I got a nice bruise on my wrist from a ground ball by a missionary.

Then it was home for baths.

In the bottom photo there is the example of another common occurrence, Theo being grumpy. He had a fever and we thought he might be sick, but it turned out he was getting in his 2-year molars. At least they're the last ones.

While the baths were happening Christopher was helping me with the car window and I was helping him clean out the garage. Then we ate some cherries.

That's the first two days at Lauren's house, the next two days are even better, maybe.

UPDATE: Pictures of the dinner are available on Shay's Blog.

And I forgot to report that my Garmin GPS watch died Saturday morning and after thinking for a while that it was beyond hope and I was going to have to run my marathon without it, I found tips online that told me the buttons to hold down and press to bring it back to life. The world did not end.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. It seems like you guys had a great time. You fit right in! I'm glad you were able to fix the car window. That happened to our old Dodge and Nathan had a hard time getting the window up and then trying to figure out what the issue was. I am impressed you were able to fix it!