Thursday, December 25, 2008

A randomly selected day celebrating the birth of our Best Friend

It's the day that the early Christian church decided would be designated to celebrate Christ's birth, most likely to correspond with Winter solstice to win over some pagans. But even though I realize that this probably isn't anywhere close to celebrating Christ's birth on the day He was born, I also realize that this is the best holiday ever. I never get tired of Christmas, of Christmas songs, of saying "Merry Christmas" or of eating Christmas themed candied items. Christmas themed episodes of TV shoes are always some of the most memorable, even when their political correctness makes them rather empty. The best Christmas movies can be watched every year and never get old. I still cry every time I watch Jimmy Stewart approach the manger in Mr. Kruegers Christmas. I love the season. I think if I had nothing else pulling me on to believe, the feeling I get at Christmas would be enough to get me to church every week. And what's great about the season is that the harder one works to make it special-especially in working to make it special for others-the better it is. This year I've striven to make Christ a bigger part of my Christmas celebration and I have not been disappointed in the least. Cait's been a big help in setting us up to donate to Sub4Santa and a progam to help refugee families in Salt Lake. We've also been working at the
Food and Care Coalition (Unsubtle Plug)
in Provo which is basically a classy food bank. Speaking of which, I'd like to throw in a plug for Sunflower Farmers Market
in Orem (just south of University Mall and in a bunch of places in the west) which donates a lot of the food used there. If you can't donate food or funds yourself, shopping at this eco- and local- friendly food store is a reasonably priced way of making a difference. And the products are just great anyway.

In diary news, we did end up making it to Morgan to visit my family last night, busing most of the way and stopping to see the light on temple square. We opened presents this morning and have just been enjoying a very peaceful holiday. We're excited to spend the rest of the break together and also are getting excited for school to start. We have some cool classes this semester.
That's us Christmas morning.

And here's our present to all our blog readers.

SLEEPY BABY 6

No comments:

Post a Comment