Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oh, and I was in the DU TWICE today!!

A reporter interviewed me as part of a Prop 8 article.

Tim says I sounded like I was scared to get beat up [which at some point, I think I was afraid of that]

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was going to be physically abused, just emotionally...

I can't find that one online yet, but she e-mailed it to me and this is what my section said:

"Senior Caitlin Carroll from South Carolina had a different experience. As someone who is against Proposition 8, Carroll began the interview for this article by saying, "I will not share with you all of the things that I am passionate about for fear of further attacks and threats against my personal being."

This fear, she said, was based on the response she received after publishing her opposing thoughts on the issue in a "Letter to the Editor" in The Daily Universe which included "threats and vicious e-mails from fellow students that I could not believe."

"I listen to my leaders, but I also pray and ask God for confirmation to know that what my leaders are saying is what I need to be doing," Carroll said. "On this issue, I received no divine answer but decided through my own experiences and research into the matter my position on it."

In the end, Carroll thought the way in which the campus dealt with the issue was harsh.

"I have so many friends here at BYU that are gay that mean so much to me, and I hated the way the students promoted Prop. 8 like it was a fun game with the plastering of posters and the telephone banks right in front of their faces," she said. "I don't think they realized the hurt they were inflicting upon the gay community both at BYU and throughout the Church.""


Haha... it does sound like I was scared.

2 comments:

  1. Well, looks like you're almost famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for sticking up for your beliefs, even if they're very unpopular! I'm very disappointed to know that fellow BYU students would think that "be kind to your neighbor" doesn't apply when your neighbor has different political beliefs.

    They should be ashamed of themselves for behaving so basely toward you.

    ReplyDelete