Sunday, September 5, 2010

Wish list

I've been feeling very materially-posessionly deprived lately. I don't know why, and I'm usually not so materialistic about things. And it's very silly to even think of buying things because we really can't afford to spend any more money, especially since our SMART grant is being revoked by the DOE, though we still can't figure out why. And what with the unemployment and the return to US food prices and our over-priced basement apartment, we really do not have the means at the moment to buy anything.

But, if there happens to be wealthy people who read our blog who have more money than they know what to do with and want to be our benefactors, here is my recent wish list:

1. Ikea bed frame with drawers: Since we only have one smallish bedroom and little room, this bed frame with drawers would give us a little extra storage space with easy access to pajamas or blankets. I also love the simplicity of it. And our current mattress that was generously bequeathed to us from our dear friends hurts my back like no other bed ever has. I'm just not meant for pillowtop mattresses. I need something FIRM to sleep on, and our Egypt beds solidified this in my mind.


2. Bikes: I would love some nice road bikes for the two of us, and maybe a Chariot trailer to carry the guy in.


3. BOB Jogger Stroller: If we received wish list item #2 with a Chariot trailer to be converted into a jogger, we would not need an upscale jogger stroller. But just in case, I'm including it. Tim has been running with our crappy Instep stroller for a year now, and I think it's time he were allowed an upgrade. He usually doesn't complain about it because he's not like that, but the other day he was saying how hard it was to push.


4. Sandbox, etc: As we have a birthday coming up tomorrow, I would love to buy Theodore a nice sandbox to play in. He loves him some dirt. He could stay entertained for hours in a sandbox. Also, maybe some nice wooden toys and one of those rad Ikea tunnel things. A lot of kids in Egypt had the Ikea tunnels, they are great for small spaces because they store so small, and Theodore loved crawling through it.



But for his birthday he'll probably have to settle for a free cake from the bakery at Macey's and the public playground. And the nice crib his Grammy purchased for him (more on the BIG move. later).

5 comments:

  1. Craigslist?

    IKEA is overpriced. That bed frame is not worth $350. You can get the same thing at Target or Walmart for under $200.

    And $150 for a sandbox? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right. I didn't say these things were rational or even well-thought-out. And I would DEFINITELY look on Craigslist and KSL first. But I did look on Target and Walmart.com and the beds were $200 but made of particleboard and had TERRIBLE reviews. Plus I'd rather support Ikea. They give you a free Nature Babycare diaper when you go there! And the sandbox, was an example. It was the first thing that came up when I googled wooden sandbox. I think we could probably build one ourselves if Tim had the time right now.

    Oh, and we bought the abacus for his birthday. It was a sound investment. He loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm sandbox's are wonderful! Jackie got one for her birthday and we are all in love! You guys will have to come play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can easily find a cheaper bed. As far as the sandbox goes you could do one of the following: dig a hole put some plastic down and dump sand in it. The plastic is so the sand doesn't get mixed in with the nasty dirt. Or go to home depot, buy 2 2 x 6's, cut them in half, nail them in a square, plastic, sand. Cheapest sandbox ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading previous blog...I will just tell you I love you too much to buy you presents anymore...i.e. I will try to "show my love, not buy it." Works for me.

    ReplyDelete