Sunday, September 19, 2010

Forgive me

I have to take a minute to rant about church comments today.

1. Directed to a friend and her baby: "I just want to thank you for dressing your son like a missionary. I think it's so important to raise up children so they know the gospel." or something to that effect. Reasons this bothers me: a) it was said right after I exasperatedly left the room to go nurse Theodore, who happened to be wearing a dirty t-shirt and some unmatching knit pants. Usually, he's actually clean for church, but this morning I worked at the women's shelter and so Tim had to get himself and the guy to church and so he ended up wearing the same thing I threw on him when he woke up. Not to mention, I was wearing pants. You see, when I went to work we were expecting to be driving to Ogden when I got off to see Tim's father who was rushed to the ER this morning. And since I didn't get off until the middle of church, I didn't want to miss more than I had to by going all the way home to change. So, I just wore what I already had on. And let's not talk about how sick we've all been this week, what with the vomiting and the fevers and the teething and the utter exhaustion. So forget you lady. Especially if you were aiming that comment at me and my poorly-dressed child. Hopefully he'll still make it on that mission everyone will be shoving down his throat his entire life.

2. In a church talk on mothering: "You see, I've been doing a lot of research on homosexuality lately and if they should adopt children. I just don't think kids need/want two mothers or two fathers and it's detrimental to society. Here's some statistics about homosexuals raising children that I got from some Christian action website: 63% of delinquents come from fatherless homes, 91% of people in jail come from fatherless homes, 45% of abusers come from fatherless homes...." Uhhhh. I don't think those statistics have ANYTHING to do with homosexuality and adopting children. Brother So-and-so, your logic is terribly unsound. And discriminatory.

7 comments:

  1. are you in a student ward or a family ward now? i hate (most) provo wards, everyone assumes everybody else agrees with them on EVERYTHING and so they can say whatever they want even if it is rude or discriminatory.
    fast sunday closest to the 4th of july is the worst :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, yes, because the way you dress your child for church when they're one is TOTALLY going to dictate whether or not they go on a mission.

    People are crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today my visiting teacher quoted Fox News to me.... MISTAKENLY assuming that I would 1)want to hear something from Fox news 2)accept it as correlating with church doctrine 3)think homosexuality = the end of the world.
    I didn't take offense, but like your vignettes from church, people judge & then assume that you agree with their opinion just because you're a member of the church. I'm sure you remember living here in good ole SC!

    Hope your father-in-law's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathan and I are ranting about church right now!! I think it is good to get these thoughts out. I'm sorry it was a rough Sunday. I hope Tim's dad is ok.

    Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim's Dad is recovering just fine. He feels much better but had a hard, hard Sunday morning. The Church and it's doctrines are true. It's the people that aren't perfect and everyone is in a different stage of progressing. There is a need to keep the two seperate. We need to keep our eye on the Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad Tim's dad is feeling better. Betseylee is right; the gospel is true, the people are all at different levels. Isn't that why our general authorities and officers are so old. Would you ever hear a "Christian action website" quoted in general conference?

    Don't worry about it! Just be the best follower of Christ you can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the comments weren't really directed at you...you were just self conscious about the way you looked.

    ReplyDelete