Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Drug tests and pizza crusts

I can't catch a break this week.

Yesterday I started feeling a little sick, and this afternoon it turned into a full out fever/chills/sore throat deal. My immune system is incredibly compromised at the moment, what with the screaming baby all night long and the previous illness still ravaging my intestines (I don't know how people who are chronically-ill/have chronically-ill children handle it). Way to hit me while I'm down, virus. I know it sucks you don't have DNA, but do you really have to attack mine (is that even how it works? I don't know, I'm only in chapter 3 of my microbiology course).

I had to take a drug test today for work. Are these not the most demeaning things ever? I feel horrible for all the drug tests I had to administer at the women's shelter. But actually, some of them WERE on drugs, and I bet it didn't even phase them. Not only did I have to do a drug test though and felt all awkward, I brought my child with me (HEAVEN FORBID you ever take your child with you anywhere). My first clue as to my mistake came when I read the sign: "Please do not bring children to this office." Oops. Oh, and apparently you can't take your baby into the bathroom with you during said drug test, because you might squeeze the pee out of their diaper or something? I guess if I was really awesome and did EC then I could make him pee on demand, but I doubt this very rude, over-exercised man knows ANYTHING about EC. They told me to put him on the floor, give him something to play with, and MAKE IT QUICK. Said all in very rude tones. Of course that made me all nervous and then as soon as I shut the door I was afraid he was going to cry and all these male employees would just sit there staring at him all sad and I almost couldn't pee even though I had been drinking tons of water for my throat. Fortunately, he played happily with my wallet for the moment it took me to pee, because sometimes he is awesome like that.

But also I had to go to Target and buy baby Advil because you know, our baby is practically drinking the stuff like milk as his normal body temperature has been hovering around 102 for what seems like weeks. And he spilled a whole brand-new bottle of it this morning all over our rug. And he absolutely refuses to sit still in the shopping cart. Why are ALL the other babies sitting contently as their mothers leisurely peruse the aisles?

I decided to make pizza for dinner because it was sounding delicious. I looked up a recipe for a pizza crust, then realized I had no yeast so I found a yeastless pizza crust. Apparently it's supposed to be thin crust. Mine turned out more like... muffins? It's pretty disgusting. Tim thinks it's good though, so I'll let him finish this one off himself. I'll have some tomato soup, ye ole favorite of sick me.

8 comments:

  1. Why does it seem like every one else's children are angels when ours are acting up? Quite not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it rains, it pours. The past few weeks have really been awful for you. Please PLEASE let me know when I can help. I will do whatever you need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so much sympathy for you. My kids never sit in the cart either. I hope you are all feeling better soon.

    (NOT that you asked for advice and sometimes I hate it when people give me unsolicited "help," BUT - every once in a while my kids get those raging endless fevers and sometimes to stop it, I have to let the fever burn a bit. Meaning, I get them off Motrin or Tylenol, keep an eye on the temp so it doesn't get too high, and just let the fever do whatever the heck it's trying to do.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except I just remembered it's herpes (is the fever related to that?) so never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Caitlin, This is your old roommate Lindsey from King Henry. I remember reading somewhere that you have gotten a lot of breast infections and so I was wondering what you did to get rid of them. I have had three in three months and I don't know why. I have been on antibiotics for the two before but now the doctor says he wants me in to see him before he can give me antibiotics. Were you on antibiotics each time you had an infection? This one is seriously killing right now and I have to wait until morning before i can di anything about it. Will you message me and let mw know what you did? You can facebook me at Lindsey'n Zach Boskovich or comment on my blog at zachandlindseyboskovich.blogspot.com Thank you so much! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you and Atticus feel better. When do you start your new job?
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry! Seriously let me know what I can do to help you! oh also I am pretty excited to work together again :) oh and yeah Monday that orientation you get to go to is super lame but they do buy ya lunch

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete