Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blogging stupor

Yes, I realize I should have blogged for my baby's first birthday. And yes, I realize that we haven't put pictures up in a while. And yes, I realize I have devoted readers that hang on to my. every. word.

Not really.

But actually, one: I'm not too busy but think I am, and two: I can't get our camera to connect to our iMac. Three: Theodore has been sick/teething this week and so I don't want to blog about how great he is when he is driving me nuts and not sleeping at night and making me walk around all zombie-like.

But, here's two funny stories for you:

1) Tim's church leader emailed him the "home-teaching" list for this month. I happened to just look at it, mostly curious who OUR home-teachers were. Well, on the list, all the couples were listed as "Smith, Bobby and Sarah" and "Jones, Theophilus and Barbara", etc. EXCEPT for us!!! In fact, I wasn't even on the list. It only had "Last name, Tim" and no wife. I think the ward has finally decided I'm too feminist to be home-taught**.

2) We sold our/our friends' king mattress this week to a boy I had a crush on freshman year (all coincidence, he just responded to a KSL ad). Talk about strange when a boy you were all obsessed with five years ago comes into your house and lays on your bed with you. Awkward.


** Home-teaching is a system in our Church in which pairs of men visit every family once a month and then take care of their needs accordingly. It's KIND of sexist because there is also something called visiting-teaching, but that's pairs of women and they only visit the other women. So men can be women's home-teachers and women are home-taught and visit-taught, but women can only be women's visiting-teachers and men are never visit-taught. Hence.

4 comments:

  1. It's not sexist. It's the priesthood. Men don't home teach women, they home teach families as part of their priesthood responsibilities and take care of the needs of FAMILIES. The only sexist part is that women get double attention (home teachers and visiting teachers) and men only get visited as a family.

    are you sleeping on the floor now? Why did you sell your bed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shay. Women get double the support when it comes to home/visiting teaching. Christopher and I just had this conversation about a single dad in our ward who is having trouble and I was like, "What about his visiting teachers?" Oh, wait.

    I wish we could have traded mattresses because my mattress is too firm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lauren and Shay most especially because most men don't want or don't need the extra attention or help like women do. Most women could use a little extra visiting to lift her spirits and through both VT and HT can have both her personal needs or wants helped as well as her family needs.

    I don't think it's sexist, I think we are just very different from men.

    ReplyDelete