Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rejecting

As part of series on "what am I doing with my life" I give you part 1: rejecting.

We want to live a simple life. A life centered on our family and our peace. To do this we'll have to reject several worldly norms, including but not limited to:

Rejecting the idea that a husbands main purpose is to make the most money he can without killing himself.

Rejecting the need for entertainment outside of what nature and the library offers us.

Rejecting the need for daily car usage.

Rejecting the idea that love must be shown through spending money (that means at Christmas too).

Rejecting the need to impress others with our stuff (house, car, movie collection).

Rejecting stuff (including stuff lovingly gifted that is simply not needed).

Rejecting the need to eat out.

Rejecting the need to live other people's ideal.

Rejecting others ideas of "success" for us that is not our Success.

6 comments:

  1. If you figure out how to do this:

    "Rejecting stuff (including stuff lovingly gifted that is simply not needed)"

    tactfully, let me know. Kthxbai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you! We do this at birthdays and Christmas... It's crazy, but when we first got married we decided we wouldn't spend more than $20 on Christmas... We've kept it up w/ our kids, too. We gift time, talents, memories and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just don't say anything but then sell it on Craigslist/donate it to DI. I've tried telling said gift-givers but it ends messily. Now I just say thank you, and hope they don't ask about it later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YESS!!!! My husband and I just purchased a house.... I mean an 18ft TIPI which we are going to set up and live in in my sisters backyard for two months after which we will go back to YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK to live and work for the winter. December to March

    ReplyDelete
  5. you would make a good Seattleite. and I do agree that Dads should work less and father more. My husband does a great job at that. And do you seriously want my playhut or should I give it to someone else? I also found a cute, generic wooden train set. tell me the truth before I go to the trouble of getting it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete