Thursday, July 15, 2010

ماكدونالدز

ماكدونالدز

I just typed that in Arabic.

It says McDonald's.

Did I mention I had a conversation yesterday in Arabic?

Because I did.

We talked about what I liked about Egypt, our families, when Amir goes to bed, where I'm from, and that I've read the Quran. I also directed him in Arabic to my apartment (don't worry, it wasn't a random person, it was my friend's driver).

For studying for a few months (and not very intensely), I'm pretty impressed with my Arabic skills. I know the whole alphabet and can read anything (and can understand it if it's an English word). My vocabulary is limited (about 20 words), but I can conjugate verbs. I love speaking it when we're out, and everyone always exclaims: "Araby kwyass owy" (your Arabic is very good). I love it.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to add... it has been really fun reading about your adventures in Egypt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew Arabic. When I was five my dad taught me the alphabet and some words... and that's that. It's hard stuff!
    And yes I'm commenting on all your posts because I haven't been able to for a long time.

    ReplyDelete