Saturday, July 3, 2010

As a shepherd putteth on his garment

I have found my trip here in Egypt to be strenuous, although as I've said before, not overly so. I have found that I have really had to rely on the Spirit to get me through. I have felt, for whatever reason, a drive to take scriptural references to Egypt and apply them to my trip.

At first two different possibilities for defining my trip: the children of Israel enduring captivity in Egypt before being delivered to the promised land and Christ and his earthly parents fleeing into Egypt to escape the persecution of the Romans. The first in my mind represented Egypt as something to be survived and the second as a "realworld" location to escape the bubble of Provo. I've seen both of these attitudes by others in the program, but neither of them really fit what I wanted out of this trip.

Then I found this scripture in Jeremiah 43:12: "...and he shall array himself with the land of Egypt, as a shepherd putteth on his garment; and he shall go from thence in peace."

That's what I want. I don't want to lose myself, but I want to immerse myself enough that I can put on Egypt as a garment. I want to take what I learn here and make myself a better, more complete person. And most of all, I want to go from here in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment