Thursday, October 1, 2009

Adventures in cloth diapering

I knew I would love cloth diapering, but I didn't know just how awesome it would really be. Seriously, I was a bit skeptical about the whole pre-folds and cover thing, but I've found I like those the most, and I might end up selling the BGs I have and going for the pre-folds and covers. They are so easy, so economical, so comfy, and so cute.

Check out our little bird in these diapers (we've been letting him go without the covers because he had a wicked diaper rash caused by my antibiotics):




We have been using unbleached Indian cotton pre-folds, held together with a Snappi, and covered with a Thirsties. Before he fit in the XS Thirsties cover, the first two weeks we used Green Mountain diapers newborn size pre-folds with a Bummis Super Brite cover. And no leaks! No noxious smells! We just take it off, rinse it in the toilet or sink if it's not too poopy, throw it in the diaper pail, and a few days later toss it in the wash. It's really THAT easy. Even at night it's not too much of a hassle. We haven't yet cloth diapered when we're out and about so we have a stash of disposables for that purpose (and a shout-out to 7th Generation disposables... they fit PERFECT and hold his mess in better than Pampers Swaddlers which have leaked on us).

I never thought I would love changing diapers this much. But really... it's fun. You should try it. I can't wait until he's a little pudgier so we can try out the BG and the Happy Heinys. He wore the Happy Heinys once when I ran out of pre-folds, but they are still a little big and bulky. And I just love the pre-folds so much!

6 comments:

  1. Ha... I think he's going to be a paci-baby. Enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. k wait. explain the difference between all those gazillions of different kinds of cloth diapers for me. You lost me somewhere between happy heinys and pre-folds. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lied. I clicked the links in that first paragraph at the bottom and I got that part. It's the happy heinys and bg's that i don't know. or maybe you can just show me when i come over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, caitlin, all i gotta say is kudos for you. because i will tell you flat out, right now, that I DO NOT have the patience or the tolerant sense of smell for cloth diapers, and I seriously admire you both for using them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. by the way, he is ADORABLE. Can`t wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cloth diapering is actually not smelly at all! I'm sure when we introduce solids it'll get smellier. And as for patience, it's so easy. It takes literally a few seconds extra a changing and then maybe 10 minutes for the laundry every few days. It's SO easy.

    ReplyDelete