Friday, January 30, 2009

This post is about clothes

Confession: I haven't really bought clothes since high school. I'll buy the occasional hoodie or t-shirt if it's on sale, but overall all of my jeans, dress clothes, nice shirts are either 4-5 years old, something I ended up with from an old roommate, or from my little sister's closet. Most everything I wear is too big (especially pants, they are usually 1-2 sizes too big and always sagging on my bum). And I usually do not dress how I feel or that in any way matches my personality. That kind of bothers me. On the other hand, I do not particularly care about how I look nor do I spend more than 20 minutes getting ready in the morning. Most of my clothes are American Eagle, a store I would never be caught dead in now. I have the few pieces that I love from random thrift stores or acquired from roommates but I really want a new look that isn't so 10th grade. Especially if I'm going to be a mom. I don't want to look like a teenage mom. I want to be a hip yet subtle, early-20s grad school mom who has a cool job at a small women's rights NGO in downtown DC. In other words, I really want to dress like this.

Unfortunately, a variety of factors including our income situation and the fact I probably couldn't MAKE myself pay that much for clothes even if I tried would prevent me from dressing like this. Yet, I see girls all time (including moms like Kayla. Hello, good fashion sense!) and I know they probably do not shop at Anthropologie but still look so darn good. I think I just need help. Navigating that mysterious world that is fashion. Especially after I have a baby and get back to normal size. By that time I'll be done with undergrad with (hopefully) a decent-paying job. Then I could probably splurge a little bit and send my current wardrobe to DI for random middle-schoolers to indulge in.

10 comments:

  1. I think it is so funny that I was just looking at the anthropologie site a few minutes ago. I too am feeling less than enthused about my current wardrobe. I have nothing new, post baby, and my clothes no longer represent me. I wish I could go on a shopping spree and freshen up my look, but as you said the budget prevents me. I'm lost as to how young mothers, living on student budgets continue to dress so dang cute. If you gain any insight, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, totally flattered.

    Also, if you were to look in my closet you'd find one pair of jeans and 6-10 Shade/Downeast Basics shirts (ok and church clothes). That's my wardrobe. It's cheap. It's easy. It works for me.

    Also, I've recently been tuning into Cardigan Empire (http://www.cardiganempire.com/). She's all about finding your personal style and what works with your body. I've found some good inspiration for classing it up a bit. AND! She just did a series of posts about what to wear while pregnant. Maybe look in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giiiiirrrll!


    The best thing about anthropologie is that they have AWESOME sales. I love that store it's crazy that I walk by it twice a day and have to restrain myself from going in!

    Target is huge on that style too! Just keep an eye out for sales at Gap, Banana and the like because they carry a similar style. I don't really remember the last time I bought something at full price!

    Another cool place is Urban outfitters and they have monster sales too.

    My roommate is super good at find cool clothes for cheap, I'll get back to you on more haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plan: start wearing the ugliest clothes you can find (clear out the seasonal sweater vests at DI), and I'll get a group of people together to get you on What Not to Wear, deal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing you are going to have some cute maternity clothes to wear... just as soon as I can send them to you. I've got almost all of them packed in a box, except for the two pairs of jeans which fit me so great right now I'll probably keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all about clearance sales and 2nd hand/thrift stores. I am sure in Provo there is some stuff from Anthropologie laying around at your local thrift store. I also despise pants lately unless they are my favorite pair of boot leg jeans or my linen pants. It is easier to wear skirts than it is to wear pants. They just are more flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol I know i am crazy! and i am slowly remembering just how crazy! But i am excited i do not want my kids that far apart!
    I am delivering at the AF hospital! I loved it there with Jackie they were SO good and asked me about everything and how i wanted things to go which i liked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah they do they are in all the rooms there! I am due the 21st! I would love to deliver when you do! that would be nice! Not excited about the hot summer! lol we figured out we conceived new years day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we are going to the same office too! i am just seeing the doctors! lol thats kinda fun

    ReplyDelete