Monday, January 26, 2009

Pregnancy is a disappointment

Before I got pregnant, I thought I would LOVE it. I just imagined myself glowing and basking in the knowledge that I was creating a human life. I thought I would skip and lalala and marvel at my own body's capabilities.

Can I just tell you that I. hate. it? These past few days I have been so sick, I feel like an invalid. Even as I type this in the computer lab on campus waiting for my Spanish class to start, I know that I will throw up at least twice before that class. I find myself scoping out trashcan locations whenever I walk into a room. This morning as I leaned over the toilet in agony knowing that I needed to be in class in half an hour, I found myself telling my baby out loud that it better be cute and have red curly hair or ELSE. I called my midwife (who I have yet to meet) right after demanding some sort of remedy. She recommended Vit B6 and Unisom at night, "that should do it!" If I'm not able to hold down anything for 12 hours, I'm supposed to call back. Right now I can eat Saltines, tomato soup, and peppermint tea. I sent Tim out last night for Preggie Pops, but he couldn't find them anywhere much to my dismay and the pharmacies didn't have anything for morning sickness. If 75% of pregnant women are morning sick, how can you not have anything for it!?

I don't understand why women do this to themselves more than once. I'm going to videotape myself puking just so I don't forgot how much early pregnancy sucks. We're adopting from now on.

Please. Inspiration. Tell me it is worth it. Anyone!

In other news, my sister's 10 week ordeal has ended in a 7-lb baby boy! She went into labor at 6:30 am, got to the hospital around 7, and he was born at 7:40. Hooray for quick labors that run in the family (but hopefully not that pre-term business). Lauren was very happy to call and tell me about her natural childbirth.

9 comments:

  1. lol i remember the days when i told you how much it sucked and you told me how great it would be lol I am with you, good news their is a pill that can help :) its called fenagrin or something, i did not have it with Jackie no one told me about it, but a girl at my work says its helped her so much! You have to get it from your doc, butI would definatley ask for it! She says it helps keep the throwing up at bay most the time
    And yes its 100% worth it!!! I would do it over and over again ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to the hospital until about 7:25. If we lived more than about 10 minutes from the hospital Christopher would have delivered the baby.

    I sure hope you feel better soon. You can try other drugs if the B6/Unisom doesn't work: Reglan helps you digest quickly, Phenergan is anti-nausea, and Zofran is anti-vomiting. You can ask if you can try one or some... good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, it's like you're copying and pasting from my blog. I went on this mad search for preggie pops and went to like 4 different pharmacies and NONE of them had anything they could recommend. It was awful. And made no sense whatsoever.

    You know those waxy brown bags they keep in bathroom stalls for used femme-y stuff? I always carried a few around to puke in. I still have like..40 in my car. They saved my butt a few times.

    I went and did a search on the Preggie Pop website for retailers that carry them:

    http://www.threelollies.com/finder-pp.asp

    It looks like there's a place in Provo that has them and the Good Earth in Orem also stocks them along with a few other places. They worked ok for me for a while..they took the edge off, at least. And when you're that sick any relief is so so welcome.

    My doc put me on anti-nausea meds that worked for about a week. But my insurance didn't cover the big gun, Zofran, which I've heard is awesome. It might be worth a try if the nausea doesn't let up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and also? It's worth it.

    I'm even planning on doing it again before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my dear, I'm so sorry to hear!

    I don't have any sage advice as I have not encountered creating a human life yet!

    It will be worth every bit I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i was just told Motherhood in the mall has prego pops

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all worth it. I lost ten pounds in the first trimester because of being sick all the time and not able to keep anything down so I know how you feel.

    Don't worry it will go away in the 2nd trimester. I went to school from conception to about 6 months and it was really hard to focus because even though you don't realize it, your brain cells and energy are going to the baby. Take a lighter load of classes or take up a hobby while you are pregnant to take your mind of it. I also liked doing yoga and swimming for fun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, I went through four different drugs before they could get me to stop throwing up. And I wrote it all down and there is no way I'd ever forget it.
    And yes, pregnancy sucks sucks sucks.

    And the baby will be worth it.

    And I'm also planning on adoption. :)

    ReplyDelete