Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My poppy seed is real!

I really should be writing my paper that's due in an hour, but I have to talk about my poppy seed. Because she exists for real.

I called my midwife office yesterday after a quite violent vomiting incident and said I NEEDED SOMETHING. Anything. She said they would see what they could do but it was around 4:45 and the scheduling people gone so I'd get a call back in the morning. At 9 am, the nurse called and said they could fit me in today but just to get a prescription. I drove up to Pleasant Grove and arrived about 15 minutes before my appointment to fill out paperwork--although there wasn't near as much as I thought (and the receptionist said I was the quickest she'd ever seen). I went back to see Claudia, the midwife, and she wrote me a prescription for Phenergen but said if it makes me too tired we'll try something else in a few weeks. Then, to my surprise, she offered to give up her break to go ahead and do my first prenatal appointment so I wouldn't have to drive back up next week. First sign that my midwives are awesome!

We did the requisite bloodwork/pap smear which went fine except the tech taking my blood poked around forever trying to get a vein. Annoying. I used to ask to take my own blood after I had finished my phlebotomy class freshman year and sometimes they let me. I'm a little rusty now though so I leave it to the professionals (though I could have done a better job than this one).

After all of that was done, we listened for heart tones! She said it was a little early (10 weeks) and sometimes you can't find them that early, but she was persistent and I got to hear my little poppy seed's heartbeat! So cool. And so fast. I can't believe it's real. I only wish Tim had been there--since it wasn't supposed to be my real appointment he didn't come with me... but there's always the next one in March.

Also, she said I'm measuring really big for how far along I am (though I think I'm even less far along than she calculated because of my remembering of certain activities that lead to babies happening at later dates...). It was good to hear my uterus is actually growing rapidly and this burgeoning tummy is not just my own fat.

Also, my poppy seed is more like an almond. With fully formed fingers. And sealed shut eyelids. Very cool.


After my appointment, I met up with my friend Coralie from EFY and we went to lunch with her adorable almost-2-year-old. After lunch, we went back over to her apartment for crafts. Seriously, me, crafts? I know what you're thinking. But it was fun! I made really nifty little baby barrettes. So here's hoping I have a girl...

5 comments:

  1. OH i am so freaking excited for you!!!!!! :) I am so glad you found someone you like and you got that medicine! Let me know if it helps! :) I am glad they heard the heart beat at 10 weeks, i am going in then and i am worried they wont be able to hear it and i know that will just make me all sorts of nervous....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it was a girl from about 7 weeks, when I started throwing up so violently that there was no way my baby was anything other than a momma's girl.
    I was on that drug too! Do not despair, if it doesn't work there's two more, but you'd better hope you don't have to pay for Zolfran...
    If I do it again I will be asking for the good stuff a lot sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're so darling! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so fun! I'm so glad you came for crafts. We can make you a crafty-girl... if you keep this up for all of your appointments. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, little almond baby. Definitely bring Tim with you for the next appointment. I loved having both of us there.

    ReplyDelete