Friday, February 13, 2009

Apostle sightings

Yesterday, I was invited to attend a fancy, shmancy dinner for all of the donors to the Marjorie Pay Hinckley Chair. Since WomanStats is funded in part by these donors, a few of the older coders went to present the research and thank the donors for their contributions. I had NO idea what a big deal this actually was. So I get there, I'm talking to the dean of our college and his wife (whom I worked with on Claralyn's campaign), and then I turn around and there's President Samuelson. I shake his hand, we make small talk, I really wanted to ask him why he's never responded to my letters... but I don't. Then another man behind him comes forward and shakes my hand and talks to me for a bit about where I'm from and what project I work with. He's the only one not wearing a name tag, and he does not really introduce himself, so I'm kind of at a loss. He walks away to talk to Dean Magleby and then it hits me after a minute-- DUH, that was Elder Scott! He doesn't need a name tag nor an introduction. Alas.

Also attending: All five of President and Sister Hinckley's children and spouses. Sister Hinckley's brother and sister. A few random general authorities. It was a pretty cool night.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Good thing you didn't ask Richard G. "So who are you again, sir?"

    What did you wear?

    I miss the Hinckleys.

    ReplyDelete