Thursday, February 26, 2009

Recent happenings

Last weekend my friend Gordon and I went looking for eagles west of Utah Lake. Cait really wanted to come, but work called early Saturday morning saying that she was supposed to come into work (she had a miserable day at work, sorry Cait). But Gordon and I had fun driving around some of the less inhabited parts of Utah looking to sight some eagles. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so I don't have any pictures. We arrived at Fairfield, where Eagles were supposed to be seen sometime around 1-2 PM which was about when we arrived. The man at the Camp Floyd museum told us that we needed to wait til about five in order to see any eagles, because they were out hunting. So we visited there in the museum for a bit. Saw the non-existent uniform of Camp Floyd soldiers. We also went to the Stage Coach Inn (which was included in the $2 admission cost for the Camp Floyd museum). Because these experiences were not very long, we decided to go out to Faust and Vernon, where other eagles were supposed to be nesting in on some telephone poles. We saw no eagles there, but did stop in at a nice little gas station restaurant in Vernon the name of which I cannot remember. We ordered 6 mozzarella sticks and received 8 because the bag was almost finished. We wanted to get some scones, but they were out, so we bought some drinks and a brownie and headed out (after Gordon tipped generously). We returned to Fairfield, where we saw a total of 7 eagles. They were very nice to look at and it was fulfilling to have achieved our goals. It was odd to see eagles in such a non mountainous or lakeous region of Utah. They were just in some trees by a broken down and abandoned house. Then we picked up Caitlin and went out for dinner at Rice King on Center Street. That was my Saturday.

On the Friday before, we went to the mosque in Salt Lake, or West Valley, but there we did take pictures which I do not have with me, so I'll post about that later.

Last night Caitlin and I attended a lecture by Gordon Rees about the environmental impact of raising cattle, which are substantial. It was a fine lecture.

I think that is about it for interesting things that we've done.

In other happenings, someone is making an effort to invade my life by interfering with seemingly small but still meaningful aspects of my life. It has gotten so bad that I'm not even sure that it is me writing this post, or my stalker. Just a few examples: somebody keeps adding stations to my Pandora radio site. Not only am I upset on principle that someone insists on putting Owl City Radio into my listening experience, but also, the music is terrible. Someone has stolen my mechanical pencil at work on numerous occasions, which is frustrating. And I've been getting strange text messages from banks on phone. Are all of these events connected? Probably not. But my life is usually quite free from such invasions, so the fact that so many have occurred recently is upsetting, to say the least.

Here's a picture of an eagle, just in case you really wanted one:


2 comments:

  1. hey i have been getting texts from banks too! its weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fine post on a fine blog. And as much as it hurts to say it, having your life taken over sounds much more exciting than trips to Vernon or lectures on environmental impacts of vegetarianism.

    ReplyDelete