Monday, February 23, 2009

Detective work

Tim really should tell this story because he's the hero of it. And he's generally a better story teller, but since I got to it first, I think I will.

So, about a week ago we started hearing weird tapping noises at all hours of the night. It sounded like it was coming from our oven, and I thought the gas line was wigging out and going to explode or something. We kept looking around but never saw anything out of the ordinary. Well, three nights ago it got really loud and so Tim got out of bed and investigated further. The weird thing was everytime you got out of bed and turned on a light, the noise stopped. We couldn't really figure out what was going on, but it kept us up in the middle of the night and was so annoying.

The sounds were loud coming from under the sink two nights ago, so he looked under there and discovered a HOLE. Holes are never good signs. That means we have some sort of creature living under our sink. The idea of creatures living in my house freaks me out. Although there was a hole, we never saw a creature, so we just kept ignoring and decided to call management on Monday to come figure it out.

Last night though, as soon as we turned out the light and crawled into bed, the noises started. Tim didn't turn on the light, but grabbed our flashlight and started shining it under things in the kitchen. And there it was. A mouse. We. have. mice. living. with. us! EEEK!

Somehow, unbeknownest to us, they made holes in the cinderblock walls underneath our stove. How does a mouse gnaw through cinderblock?! They must be mutant mice. Even scarier.

On the other hand, is it weird I find it KIND of cool that we have mice? And weird that I don't really want to kill them? Bugs I can kill. Mice... they are just tiny and Tim said the one he saw was kind of cute. I'd feel bad finding them in traps in the morning. Also, they are very useful as scientific subjects and have discovered all sorts of cures for diseases. That would make me feel guilty as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Friend!

    - Mice are yuck! if they aren't pets they spread nasty disease with their poops and such. There was a huge house shut down in Boston because the students didn't tell their landlord, and it was making everyone on the block really sick. At least get some humane traps...I know when we had mice it was so hard for me to even look under the stove for the traps- I made my boyfriend do it. Don't use Sticky Traps, those are the worst. Peppermint Oil works well because it's too strong for them to process and so they stay away, I put some on cotton balls and place them near all the door ways and holes! Also They can't chew through Steel wool! So stuff that hole in the cinder bricks with steel wool.


    - Another thing, was I was reading our school news paper and they had an article on videos and tv. They had contacted a professor at BYU in Family Life Studies? I had forgotten her name, but it was a really interesting article about how single-player video games has a negative effect in teens and college students. I thought of you and the lecture you guys attended the other day. I definitely agree it's a distraction, We had a nintendo in Syracuse when I was little. It was only used in the Winter, but then my brother and I decided to sell it and all the games, we didn't really have a use for it. I guess at a young age we recognized that there are better things than staring at a tv all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know they are yuck! We already set some catch and release traps, and it's seemed to work. We don't hear them anymore and I still have yet to see one. I'm going to try the steel wool and peppermint oil too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird because we've set the traps, and not caught a single one, but also not heard a single one. Maybe these are such experienced and long memoried mice to know a trap and a lost cause when they see one. Just another evidence that these are mutant mice.

    ReplyDelete