Friday, August 13, 2010

The greatest type of news

While at the small visitor's center awaiting our boat ride, I received this email from Casey, of the FriendLEEs:

"Melissa's water just broke (3:00am MST), so we're going to have a baby today :)

Contractions haven't really started yet, so Melissa is going back to sleep and hopefully they'll pick up in the next few hours.

Wish us luck -- we wish you were here (seriously)"

AHHHHHHHHH! was pretty much my reaction. I really sincerely worried and prayed for Melissa and little Flaxseed all afternoon. I wanted to be there with her, for her, and I just hoped to everything that contractions started and everything went well. I kind of floated around all day, hoping that we would find internet again soon.

But.... there was no way of knowing since we were completely the way across the globe at the moment. It was actually kind of funny because the computer I was checking my email at was circa 1989 and the space bar was broken so I responded with something like: "greatcan'twaittohearmorekeepusupdatednospacebar.timandcait"

Later in the afternoon, after hacking into the hotel's internet, we received this: "Everything went great -- Melissa is unbelievable. I won't write any of the sweet details cause Melissa will want to, but I gotta say it again: Melissa is the bomb."

Melissa, from the bottom of our hearts, we have to say: you rock. Way to bring little Zarathustra into the world.

Weirdly, Tim and I have felt a void in our life since hearing about the arrival. Last night in bed, he looked at me and somberly said: "I feel like we have another child that we haven't met yet." And seeing the pictures of his squishy baby face made me all fluttery inside in a kind of excited but kind of empty way like I need to see him and hold him to know he is real. You may deem this creepy, but then again you probably don't love anyone the way we love them.

One day when I have time, energy, and the emotional capacity to think clearly I will blog about how much I hate missing important and meaningful events... and how I would much more rather have been with our friends in Provo the past few days than in the Galilee. Traveling for four months kind of sucks sometimes like this.

4 comments:

  1. Please tell me they actually named their baby Zarathustra. Because that is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready for you to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited that Melissa had her baby! I had no idea so was that far along. Congratulations on the new addition to your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand the feeling of wishing you were with them even though you're in a freaking awesome place. Sometimes people don't get that, but it's SO true.

    ReplyDelete