Sunday, August 29, 2010

Our return to living

Ever since we returned, I'm feeling quite averse to blogging. Chalk it up to my real life carrying forward, the life that was put on hold for four months while I trekked through that wide and dark abyss called Cairo.

The last week has been great, minus my coming down with a killer sore throat the past few days. Maybe it's viral or maybe it's the incredibly dry air I'm getting used to. I think I've used 3.2 tubes of cherry Chapstick since we've been back.

I've never eaten more Campbell's condensed tomato soup in my life. I think I've downed at least 6 cans in 7 days. A combination of missing it while in Egypt/sore throat/the fact our thermostat is set to 68 and we have no control over may be the culprit of the sudden tomato soup addiction.

I'm enjoying a nice steamy bowl now, in fact.

The last week has been busy: moving, birthday-partying, yard-saling, job-interviewing. I'm finally feeling a bit settled. We have WIC vouchers and our clothes are put away.

Thursday night, I held an impromptu gathering for Tim's birthday and our homecoming. Ironically, the only real friend of Tim's at the party was Gordon (Jason and Sarah showed up later on, so I'm not counting them). I think it was mostly a party for Theodore, as his lovely friends Alice and Eliza stopped by until past their bedtimes. The three of them were quite funny together.

On Friday, I went to a job interview with a company that produces educational materials. I thought the interview went fairly well, I was required to take a test of sorts about editing and current events, which I think I aced. It's a full-time position though, and I'm not sure if we can arrange childcare. Or if I even want to work full-time. Damn health insurance.

On Saturday, we held a (sort-of) impromptu yard sale. We made about a hundred bucks selling our junk. What a novel idea yard-saling is! We got bored around 11 so left most of the junk outside with a jar that said "take whatever you want, small donation requested" type of thing. We gathered about 5 dollars that way, and then a little later went to retrieve the jar and junk to bring it in for the night. Tim went out and there was a lady and her teenage son perusing. He peered over at them and the lady suddenly grabbed our jar of money and put it back on the ground and scolded her son for putting it in her bag. Tim walked away as to not make them feel embarrassed, only to return to a stolen jar of money. I guess he should have stuck around and called them out on it. It probably only had a few bucks in it anyways, and he said they looked a little down on their luck. We probably would have just given it to them had they asked for money. Pathetic stealing a few dollars... if there was even that much in it.

1 comment:

  1. That makes me SO angry that they stole your money. How awful! People missed out on good deals by not coming to your yard sale. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete