Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 2: Dahab

We left St. Catherine's at six a.m. and headed straight to Dahab, a little resort-type town on the Red Sea. We arrived around 9:30, and quickly changed into our swimsuits for our snorkeling excursion. After traveling down a narrow road in Jeeps (ok, actually, everyone else was in Jeeps, a few of us were in a mini-bus, pretty interesting down the rocky road), we went to this great little cabana area where we were allowed to hang out and were fitted for our masks. It was comfy, but I didn't spend a lot of time there considering:

snorkeling (at one of the best spots in the world - The Blue Hole) has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever done. I love swimming, I love the ocean, I LOVE aquariums. It was like going to an aquarium, and jumping in the huge tank to swim with the fish. I was just going to type again that I loved it, but I think you probably have already gotten the picture. Speaking of pictures, we don't have any, but just trust me that I was in heaven almost 90% of the time after I got the hang of the mask and breathing tube thing. Tim went as well, which was awesome because he has a slight fear of swimming and especially of deep water. I wanted him to experience it though (and also it wasn't nearly as much fun being alone and besides there were 5 teenage boys following me and staring at me underwater), and he did, and I loved it and he probably only liked it a little but it was cool for him to do it with me. But also it was really nice that he didn't love it as much because then he could watch the babe while I snorkeled to my little heart's content. Shout-out to Sophie for watching him while Tim and I went together. Side note: Amir HATES waves. He freaked out and screamed every time we took him down to the water. Who would've thought?

After snorkeling, we hung out at the hotel pool (our hotel was called the "Tropitel Dahab Oasis", because obviously tropical+hotel=tropitel) and talked to some British people. We ate a delicious dinner at the hotel (I even ate some mushrooms because they looked yummy, and they didn't make me sick!) and settled down for the night early since we knew we'd be leaving at 4 am for the border.

More to come on the adventures at the border...

No comments:

Post a Comment