Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 6: Mount of Olives



Today was long. There was Gethsemane, the Garden Tomb, and a dungeon. There was walking around the Old City and haggling for pants. There was much walking down and uphill. There was much, much too much exhaustion.

There was even a Palestinian-person-traffic-jam we were involved in just at the moment the two of us thought we would collapse from the exhaustion. We should have realized that millions of people would want to leave the city at the exact same time at the exact gate that leads to our apartment. Friday prayers.... psht.

There was a jaunt at the dividing wall. The $100-million wall that cuts off families, farmland, and prevents sons from visiting their elderly mothers.





There was a protest by Israeli Jews, fighting against the demolition of Arab homes to build more Jewish settlements.

There was also the Wailing Wall. Wow. The Wailing Wall at sundown on the Shabbat. I've never had more fun people watching or joining in on religious rituals. I stuck my own little prayer into the wall. I'm not sure the protocol on Wailing Wall prayers... is it like a birthday wish that won't come true if you tell? I'm not telling for now. Maybe one day.

All in all, I would consider it a full day.

Can't wait for my own Shabbat tomorrow. I think I will never appreciate the concept of "day of rest" more.



Church of Pater Noster - they had the Lord's Prayer in hundreds of languages all over the walls.


Gethsemane, huge olive tree.


Jaffa Gate, complete with bullet-holes from the 1967 war.

No comments:

Post a Comment