Sunday, August 8, 2010

Jerusalem

If Egypt was what I was expecting, Jerusalem is the exact opposite. Unlike Egypt, where I tried to go in with an open mind, I went into Israel with pretty strong preconceived notions of what it would be like, but there were two sets of notions: one was a peaceful city of religious pilgrimage based on my religious upbringing and the other was a city torn up by racial and religious strife based on my political upbringing. The second belief turned out to be mostly true, mostly because it was vague. I have been continuously intellectually stimulated in my time here in Jerusalem and fascinated by the multiple social, religious and political currents running through the area and how the effect the daily lives of residents of the area.

When it comes to my spiritual expectations for the Holy Land, however, I have to admit that I have been mostly disappointed. That mainly has to do with my political expectations being fulfilled. My overall impression of Jerusalem has been that of a rotted tree of religious piety. Instead of peace I have found endless bickering over land and bricks, bickering escalating to murder and marauding in several cases. All the major religions here in Jerusalem, Christians, Jews and Muslims claim to be religions of peace, but none of them are able to do anything realistic to bring peace to this area that they revere as sacred. Instead they fight over the drippings of spirituality that trickle from this overused fountain.

Three places I have been impressed by:
The temple mount, including the wailing wall. I felt that some sincere devotion and reverent admiration prevailed in this area.
The garden tomb. Even though I understand that this probably wasn't where Christ was buried, it is still a beautiful, tranquil place where I witnessed true worship, as opposed to the gaudy, gloomy and often petty Tomb of the Holy Sepulchral.
The Jerusalem Center. Most of all. This center is a beautiful place and lived up to all my expectations. Everyone here is kind and sincere. It also has a beautiful view looking down upon the city, where in contemplation of its lost potential I have felt most akin to Christ than in any other moment.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on the Garden Tomb. They definitely got it right - the mood, the setting, the approach, everything. I loved that place.

    I also love the JC. My expectations were so high and yet they were still exceeded. I'm glad you guys are having a good trip.

    ReplyDelete