Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 13: The Golan Heights

Today we explored to tip top of Israel, including the Golan Heights, a highly disputed tract of land between Syria and Israel.

Our first stop that I remember was a partially reconstructed Jewish village that was a nice slice of old-timey life.

Village

Ancient synagogue

Then we went to a famous falaffel place where Amir got to drive a bus.

Amir lets allows a passenger onto the bus.

One of my favorite Amir faces.

Then we took a nice hike on Mt. Hermon to Banias falls which flows from one of the sources of the Jordan.. We didn't take any pictures, but here's what I'll look like in the future when I return.

We then hiked around Tel Dan where we drank spring water from another source of the Jordan, saw an ancient gate that Abraham probably used and waded in a very cold pool. We took no pictures here either, but here's one from our friend Sean McGrath.

Amir uses Huraches to protect his feet.
Then back to the hotel for plums, playgrounds and philosophical discussions.
Amir meets Abicus (it rhymes better with his real name)
In front of the Sea of Galilee


Overall another very full but fulfilling day.

PS We've heard that some of you are getting bored with our day by day travels. It's only 3 more days. Deal with it.

4 comments:

  1. Who was it that said Amir didn't look like his father? Boy were they wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's getting bored? I love hearing all about your travels. I check often to see what new adventures you guys have had. I'm glad you are able to do so many interesting things and still have time to write about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not bored. I love the travelogue and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not bored. I think it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete