Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The cool kids on the bus

Tim and I have been thinking seriously about homeschooling. It was a concept I always knew existed, but I thought it was for the religious-right-anti-government Libertarian polygamists. It wasn't until I read articles in Mothering magazine shortly after having Amir that I discovered that liberal hippie parents homeschool too. I like the idea of unschooling the most, a method that involves teaching children through day-to-day experiences rather than sitting down for formal lessons every day. On the Natural Child Project website, I like this thought: "The traditional curriculum is based on the assumption that children must be pursued by knowledge because they will never pursue it themselves." That is the pure basis for unschooling. It doesn't mean the parent isn't there to guide and teach; it's actually the exact opposite. Rather than using a strict and set curriculum, putting a textbook in front of the child to read, you must actively engage in observing what subjects your child is steering towards and then think of what to teach them based on those experiences you observe. For instance (and not like we are actually doing this, because of course he doesn't understand yet), Amir is suddenly fascinated with wheels. From that fascination, there is a myriad of things to teach: geometry about circles, algebra, pi=3.14..., radius and circumference, auto-mechanics, energy. And the idea is because it's his interest first, he will hopefully take an interest in learning about these things.

Back to our discussion at Petra: some of the other students we were talking with seemed pretty opposed to homeschooling, for "socialization" purposes. And at first I thought the same. But how often do you actually socialize in elementary school? You are forced to sit in your desk, if you even think about talking and heaven forbid whisper something to your neighbor, you may receive a demerit or have your star moved to the sad face column. You must be quiet in the hallways, there is silent lunch sometimes even. Recesses are shorter and shorter these days. And as far as my own elementary school experience, I definitely did not make friends and become socialized. Elementary school was brutal, I had few friends and was often left alone to play. I was kind of quirky though, so it's understandable. I had a huge mop of curly red hair, I loved to read and was a total bookworm, and I had the whole Mormon thing to contend with. A lot of the girls in my grade wore Kelly's Kids monogrammed dresses and had perfect straight blonde hair, and were Presbyterian. I always wanted to be those girls. And they all turned into identical sorority-loving elementary-ed majors at local colleges in South Carolina. Jealousy over. Let's be honest here: my life is so much cooler.

Which brings me to the cool kids on the bus title: like my elementary school, students on this trip are still playing the exclusion card with the nerdy/uncool kids. There is a select group of cool people, they sit together in the front of the bus, eat together, hang out together during free time, etc. and the uncool kids best not try to encroach. It has come to the point that uncool people are booed to the back of the bus if they try to sit up front and then get rejected. It's CRAZY and SO FRUSTRATING. There are enough seats on the bus for some people to get their own seats, and so they get on the bus and everyone claims their own seats. Then the stragglers get on the bus, and don't care where they sit really, but people will really look at them like the seat is completely taken. Unless one of the stragglers is a cool kid, they will get a seat no problem. Tim and I attempted to sit up front, mostly because my two friends are up front and I wanted someone to talk with (they are cool as well, but mostly they are up front because of pregnancy-induced carsickness and the other is married to the teacher). As I tried to sit down, one of the ULTRA-COOL kids started freaking out and told me I couldn't sit there. Not wanting to be immature and stoop to their level, I simply moved to the back with Tim. And you know what, we've had a great time back there with the uncool kids. Because actually, they are really cool, and they don't complain about having an antsy baby reach over the seat and pull their hair. End tirade.

Back to homeschooling:

Another opposition to homeschooling is the statement that teachers are trained in teaching and so must be better equipped to teach our children because they know more about the subjects at hand. Teachers are trained in classroom MANAGEMENT, with a little subject matter thrown in. And seriously, I was smarter than my 5th-grade teachers when I was IN 5th-grade. I'm pretty sure I can teach my kids what I learned up until college. I'd have to brush up on my calculus (or perhaps send them to a community college when they are a little older to take courses/Independent Study online courses) but I think I could teach it. Same with all the Physics/Chemistry I learned in high school.

Finally, I think my kid is awesome. He's only 11 months and he's already so awesome to hang out with. And I know he'll probably only get cooler and more fun to hang out with, so why send him away all day starting when he's 6?

But alas, situations change, life gets in the way, we'll see if our aspirations pan out.

6 comments:

  1. We are planning on homeschooling, I have the opposite view on socialization... I'd rather my children NOT learn behavior from their peers. That's what I remember from elementary on up, bad words and subject matter I could have gone wirhout. But really, there are a million reasons and no reason at all as to why I want to homeschool. I just feel that its right for us, and if everyone does what is right for their own family, well that's what matters, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a long post: Sorry!

    There is actually a huge "unschool" population in SC. Our friend traveled the country talking at unschool conferences.

    His name is Cameron Lovejoy, and if you have any questions about unschool I'm sure he would love to speak with you guys about it! His experience in unschool was with a group of other unschoolers, varying ages. So there's your social aspect. It seemed very cool, he wrote a blog about all his unschool adventures when he was older, I'll have to see if he still has it up.

    I loved my elementary school because of all the activities that we did. We had younger reading buddies, we had "buzzers and Bells" which was a 4th grade-wide science competition, roller skating parties, gynastics week in gym, reading week with authors,recess was awesome, our school garden. We even put together a protest with signs and everything to protest the knocking down of our favorite jungle-gym. We watched the bulldozers take it down, but I mean..it was really old and rusty and shards of metal sticking out...probably in our best interests. I think the only real cliques or hierarchy in my elementary school was age. The older you were you sat towards the back of the bus. We also had a day camp kind of thing in the summer for a couple weeks with counselors called playground and it was one of the best things I remember. It probably was the school district and school. I don't remember much from 7th and 8th grade because it was miserable for me moving to SC from NY, but elementary school holds some very cool friends (to this day!) and memories for me.

    Sorry to reminisce on your blog, Enders Road was the best! We even had a song - to the tune of Heart and Soul - "Enders Road, we're all a part of a family, a family with good manners and love for all mankind." - our school mascot was the Enders Road Good Citizen.

    I wish that all elementary schools were like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thanks for sharing your ideas and experiences. I have been thinking a lot about homeschooling recently. I keep going back and forth between home school and a charter school (there are some good ones in this area). I suppose it will probably depend on where we are living and the school options in that area.

    I really like the idea of unschooling but I am having a hard time breaking away from societal views on learning. One thing that I really like about unschooling is that it seems to encourage what is naturally ingrained in our children- the desire to learn.

    My school social experience sound pretty similar to yours. I never felt like I fit in or had any friends. In Junior and High school we would watch stupid movies in many of my classes. Most of the teachers didn't really teach. I remember going home many many days thinking that I didn't learn anything and the day was an entire waste of time. I could have been doing something worth while or at least something I enjoyed. For these reasons I do not want to send my kids to public school. I also can't stand the thought of sending my kids away all day long.

    A blog that I like to read called "I never grew up" recently did a series on home school vs private school vs public school. It was interesting to read. here is the link http://inevergrewup.net/category/private-public-homeschool-series/

    ReplyDelete
  4. you just stooped to their level when you blogged about all that bus drama bahahahahaha now you should name names and we can all go verbally harass them on facebook!

    ...sounds like the end trips are fun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. You and Tim are smarter than most public school teachers.

    2. Socialization is overrated. Popularity is overrated. The cool kids never change and life is so much better on the outside.

    3. I like the idea of unschooling, but I think you'd have to have some limits and structure. I think if we unschooled Megan would read all day but never learn her multiplication tables, for example. If you homeschooled, you'd have to do some things your kids wouldn't like, because they have to be learned. But you can make them fun.

    I wonder when/if we'll homeschool. Not this year but maybe someday. Keeping my options open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've homeschooled and and it's not an either-or thing. Some years one or more of the kids is homeschooled, then maybe they spend a few years in a charter school or private school. And this year, two of our kids are 1/3 homeschooled and 2/3 charter schooled--you can mix and match!

    Now, we ALWAYS homeschool for middle school. No way in heck we want our kids in "group school" during those years, which are crazy enough.

    And yes, you are absolutely smarter than the teachers in the school. So don't let such thoughts of inadequacy even arise. The real issue is trying to homeschool when you have several children. You have already posted about how when Amir was 10 months old you basically had to watch his every move. Now pretend you have two kids your trying to homeschool, plus a new 10 month old who has to be watched every second . . . That's the real challenge. Not homsechool, but juggling homeschool and caring for toddlers.

    Want to see what is available for homeschoolers?
    http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?web=cca-store

    And you can also do a program called k12.com , and your school district will pay for EVERYTHING--even the COMPUTER!!!

    So you can do whatever your heart decides is right . . . there really are no limits anymore. Just check out your particular state's regulations concerning homeschool. (But even with that issue, there are private schools that will accept homeschool credit from you, so that in the state's view you actually are not homeschooling--your kids is enrolled in private school! That eliminates a LOT of hassle in states that don't like homeschooling. And example is Clonlara School, clonlara.org ).

    ReplyDelete