Saturday, September 5, 2009

Time to talk about my new favorite sport-------Alternate Title: I take back everything I ever said about Cyndi Lauper

You guessed it...Wikipedia Quest. Or Wikipedia Search. Or Six Degrees of Fun! Whatever you want to call it.

I'm not really sure if this idea is originally mine. My original quote to Gordon was "it's a theory i read today from a professor that anything of note is only 6 clicks away from anything else of note" But I'm pretty sure I just said that to give it legitimacy. But maybe not. So what happens is two (or more, I suppose, I've only done it in groups of two, so I can't make any guarentees) people get together (or find some way to communicate on-line), log onto the internet and go to Wikipedia.com. Each one picks a random article (the random article link is helpful) and try to race to see who can connect those two articles in six clicks or less (or through a total of 7 websites). That's it! It's fun! I think I'm pretty good at it, but I've only played it with Gordon Rees and been beaten or tied every time, so it's hard to tell. Gordon is the smartest person I know, so him beating me isn't to much cause for concern for my psyche. Here are some examples, try them for yourself. I'll post our solutions, or sometimes just Gordon's because only he could figure it out, in the comments. I have yet to see two articles that Gordon Rees could not link together in six clicks. Have fun.

PS The "What links to this page link is most useful"

An easy one that we did last night:

CBD Belapur to Indiana University School of Education

We both got it to 5 clicks in about 10 minutes. But we are probably the most experienced players at this game ever, so, you know.

The one that was nearly impossible last night, that only Gordon could figure out:

Dilbar to Multi Link Trunking

It took Gordon about an hour to get this one. The tough part was that the Norton page doesn't actually link to multi-link trunking, at least as far as we could see, but something very similar.

And the most famous of all:

Change of Heart (song) to 2004 BC Lions season

This one also suffers from a bad link. I could only get to the "Change of Heart" disambiguation page, but Gordon got it in 5 CLICKS in the end.

So have fun with it and let me know how you do, or send us some good ones to try. Just make sure they are random and not specially chosen to hurt us.

Here's Gordon and I playing a very early and primitive form of Wikipedia Quest, next to our recently washed wall:



That cereal, which I don't remember the name of now, something Puffs, was the best thing I tasted on my entire mission. Except for maybe some fresh fruit. But still, it was great.

3 comments:

  1. First one, Gordon's: CBD Belapur - Mumbai - United States - Indiana - Indiana University - Indiana University School of Education

    Mine- CBD Belapu-Portugal-Basketball-Magic Johnson-Indiana University-Indiana University School of Education

    I know, Magic Johnson, right?

    Second One-Dilbar - Russian - Internet TLD - internet - wireless community network - link aggregation - multi-link trunking

    Last one-London - Rugby Union -
    Canadian Football - BC Lions (You have to expand the BC Lions Seasons bar to access the link, but it's still the same page. If you're counting clicks instead of pages, then the total is still just 6) -
    BC Lions 2004 Season

    Nice. That took Gordon two days to pull off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Fabulous. Tim, your flattery has just earned you and your wife an all expenses paid dinner for two at a restaurant of your choosing. As long as it's local and cheap. Ish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Disclaimer: This comment not for the super-easily offended*

    Also, I just recognized that alternate title - super fabulous. Here's the entire text of an email I sent to my little brother on Jan 7 of this year: "D**n your picamas and d**n Cyndi Lauper and d**n her d**n song."

    ReplyDelete