Saturday, September 12, 2009

My Papa

On Wednesday evening in Columbia, SC, my dear sweet Papa died after a rough few years in poor health. Since we all knew it was coming and he was surrounded by his adoring family and close friends, I am not sad about this. I'm disappointed that Theodore doesn't get to meet him and that we don't get to see him again in a few months at Christmas. But Papa was a good man, intensely dedicated to his family and a faithful Saint and disciple of Christ. I know this is what he has wanted for months and months, to be relieved of his ailing, earthly body and reunited with those across the veil, including his daughter, my Aunt Peggy. I love thinking about how happy he is now, but it's always hard for those left behind. As I sit here and look at my sweet new baby boy sleeping next to me, I am so grateful for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and eternal families**. This week has been a beautiful testimony to me of the divine, with my bringing Theodore through the veil into this world and my Papa leaving it behind. I know I will see Papa again, and I know that he is proud of me and Tim for how we are living our lives. A year ago next week, he was sealing us for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. I hope we can keep our covenants and live such a life that the blessings he pronounced upon us will come to pass.

In the mean time, I love you Papa. We all do.





** If you would like to learn more about the Latter-day Saint doctrine of eternal families, you can here.

3 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about your papa, Jeanie Ross called my dad and told him. Good out look on it though, and what a sweet blessing that he got to seal you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated the entry on your Grandfather. I think you have a great outlook. I am glad I got to meet him.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete