Friday, July 31, 2009

An ode to Tim and other people who are great

Not really an ode. Just a big whoppin' thanks for being such an awesome husband and provider of material goods to our family this summer. As you know, I'm on an unpaid internship (besides the little grant money I mustered up) and so Tim has taken to working a dead-end job at crazy hours at Target. Ok, it's not really a dead-end job because he's actually good at it and would probably be able to work his way up in the ranks to manager of a whole Super Target if he really wanted to. I know it's been rough on him though, and he rarely complains about walking an hour to work at 5 in the morning. I'm grateful for it though, he's worked full-time and because of that we've been able to save up quite a bit over the course of the summer, when we thought we'd be spending quite a bit. And if you know me at all, you know I like to save. I'm trying to be less frugal though, especially for Tim's sake. I can be a kind of psycho money saver.

We read the other day that the number one reason couples fight in the third trimester of pregnancy is over budget/finances. Well, we not only do not fight about it, Tim actually pressures me into buying baby stuff (like, a diaper pail). I must say though, another reason we probably don't argue about money and baby stuff is because we've been incredibly lucky to have well-timed our baby having to correspond with my sister's baby growing out of things. We've ended up with all the free baby clothes we could possibly need, a Medela breast pump and bottles, a Papasun baby seat, a travel system with car seat and stroller, a bumbo seat as well as a slew of miscellaneous items. Lauren's pretty awesome. And then there's all the people that have given us free stuff as well: Devin is giving us his couches, Tim's parents just bought a new bed and offered us their old one, and a friend of my cousin in Salt Lake gave us a high chair. So, I imagine having a baby is more expensive and stresfful when you're not the recipient of so much goodwill from the world. We are very, very blessed.

Funny tale: the other night we went to Trader Joe's to grab some victuals for dinner. We ended up with strawberries, cherries, expensive carrot juice, and two organic fair-trade chocolate bars. We got home and as Tim took everything out he looked at it and said "nice work, you bought things impulsively!" Yeah, and it was like, fruit.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the fruit bit.

    It's awesome having the first grandbaby on both sides because that kid is like the most loved child ever, but at the same time, there are ZERO hand-me-downs. And my shower, while lovely, yielded very little actual useful items. So we ended up buying almost everything ourselves. Fortunately, I'm sort of a minimalist at heart and didn't require much, but still. It was rough. You are really lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say you don't need a diaper pail, but I guess if you are using cloth you actually do!

    ReplyDelete