Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Long Walk

I listen to a daily podcast called the Daily Audio Bible. It's good, basically just readings from the bible and some commentary from the reader, Brian. If anyone is interested in stuff like that, you should check it out. I'm looking at you Brad Anderson.

Anyway, they have this little tradition for listeners where they take off July 7th and go out into nature and commune with God, enjoying and appreciating his creation. I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. I came back refreshed and just...happy. I know you may say it's lame, but I say that the way you say it is lame is lame, so there.

Pictures:



I was fasting when I went out, so I stopped in to pick up some food at Trader Joe's to eat later.


I walked out along the Potomac for a good long while.


I then crossed over to the Virginia side and ate lunch under a tree in Lady Bird Johnson Park, or Parkway, maybe.


I then crossed the foot path into Teddy Roosevelt park, which was incredibly natural for the being in the middle of a metropolis.


The biggest indication of man's presence on the island was a little plaza surrounded by what I assumed were Teddy Roosevelt quotes. I was sitting in front of this one for a while, thinking, praying and writing a love letter for my wife.


I then made my way home. Here's looking at Roosevelt Island from the bridge back to DC.

Try something similar yourself. Take a day off (Sunday doesn't count, that's never really off), try to do it alone or with someone who wont be distracting you the whole time. If you believe in God, talk to Him. If you don't talk to nature, or yourself. I had a good time, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment