Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Childbirth

I subscribe to a number of birthing blogs, and I feel like I learn something new every day when I open my Google Reader. It is such a complex and unique physiological process.

I love this video on gentle cesareans:



Breech birth is something I was really uneducated about when I was 34 weeks pregnant, in somewhat labor with a breech baby. I probably would have just consented to a c-section if things had progressed into the real deal because I had not done my research and was not prepared. Since then, I've read my fair share of natural, breech births both at home and in the hospital. I can't remember who put me on to Musings of a Redhead, but her depiction of her breech birth is beautiful, and I've been hooked on her blog ever since. Then tonight I found a great resource from an Australian midwife on breech birth (warning: graphic birth photos). She considers breech just a variation of normal, uncomplicated birth (she also attends births at home with premature babies, twins, etc. something that is incredibly rare in this day and age). She also has videos of women birthing at home with breech babies. I have never seen anything like this before and watched forever... so fascinating.

And speaking of childbirth... I was able to attend a birth as a doula two weeks ago at American Fork Hospital and it went beautifully. She was the most alert baby I have ever seen! She was all bright-eyed for the few hours I was there afterwards. Stephanie did so great too.... I was glad to be able to help such an intelligent and in-control woman. It made my job easy!

(and thanks to Kaitlyn for the referral!)

Photo credit: Doug B.

3 comments:

  1. I was the one who linked you to Katrina's blog. I'm so glad you like it! Congrats on the doula-ing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we subscribe to the same blogs (big surprise). I just read the Australian breech post earlier today. And that's awesome that you had another client.

    Also...you gave me a duh moment. Whole milk would be a great way to get in calories. If I liked milk. But I'm going to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cesarean! Isn't it amazing that it isn't ALWAYS done like that? It's so fantastic that there is still a midwife involved. I love how they show how easy it is not to separate mother and baby even after a c/s. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete