Monday, January 17, 2011

Weekend notes

I kept thinking all weekend that I would have Monday as a holiday, even though I knew it would not be. Luckily, Tim has no class so he gets the day to hang out and play (and also catch up on school work...)

Even without Monday as a holiday, it was still a lovely weekend.

Friday night we ate butternut squash soup. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. 'Nuf said.

Saturday, we went to our stake's emergency preparedness activity. It was actually really interesting, we even went home and updated our 72-hour kits, which were seriously out of date (think: newborn onesies and diapers... wouldn't exactly work, even in a pinch) and also had some unnecessary things like shaving cream and razors (I don't think Tim will need to shave), a brush (which I don't even own in regular life), etc. I guess my mother-in-law (who made the kits for us) wants us to look presentable in the emergency. Saturday night, I was walking to the grocery store to use our Wholly Salsa $2 off coupons before they expired, and I ran into Austin and she came with me to the store. It was great to catch up, I forgot how much I love her.

Sunday, we went to the family ward rather than the married student ward, and I think we are convinced, except for the minor detail that 16-month-olds aren't allowed in nursery yet... so we had to trade off going to class since Theodore is no longer interested in being still for longer than 30 seconds. I really like the family ward though and am now questioning our decision to ever go to the student ward. Family wards are diverse! Interesting! Women breastfeed in sacrament meeting! There are funny old ladies with gambling addictions in Relief Society! Awesome.

Sunday evening, our new friends Linda and Nick came over for dinner. I made Moroccan-Spiced Sweet Potato Medley and some me-invented Middle Eastern lentil soup. Oh, and homemade bread. The bread actually turned out great, I was worried because I kept walking between the computer and kitchen and put in some wrong ingredients and then was trying to calculate in my head and compensate and praying that it worked. It was a little dense, but tasted pretty delicious. And actually my bread machine kind of sucks so I made the dough in the bread machine and let it rise and bake in a bread pan in the oven. Worked MUCH better than the bread machine. Looking back, I would have probably attempted naan, maybe next time. Linda treated us to some of the best peach cobbler and vanilla whipped cream I've ever tasted as well. Nick and Tim got along great too... they both love fantasy novels so Mistborn/Brandon Sanderson was a topic of discussion for at least half an hour. Now I am obliged to read the series so Tim and I can remain a happily-married couple.

2 comments: