Monday, December 28, 2009

Miscellaneous Mondays - Meet my sister

Introducing: Miscellaneous Mondays.

Meet my dear sister Lauren. She is one of the greatest moms around, and I'm not just saying that. Her three hilarious kids are some of the coolest kids to hang out with on a lazy summer day. She graduated from BYU with a Bachelor's degree in Marketing Communications, then decided to stay-at-home after darling Megan was born. And thus begins her saga of parenting:

1. Describe your parenting philosophy in 20 words or less: Don't sweat the small stuff. You can't spoil a baby. Everything in moderation. Eat veggies, play outside, and read daily.

2. What makes you laugh the hardest? My kids expressions - both facial and verbal.

3. What's the number one super best thing about being a mom? Watching a child grow, develop, and learn something new every day - from first steps and first words, to blowing kisses, riding a scooter, and reading a book.

4. What do you want more than anything for your kids? Health and happiness. Education, good friends, a relationship with Jesus Christ. Keeping the curiosity, creativity, optimism, and generosity they were born with.

5. Funniest quote of the week by your kids: Last week, we had a hard day and I made the kids grilled cheese and popcorn for dinner. Gavin said, "Popcorn for dinner?! How can that BE?!"

6. First thought when you became a mother for the first time: Megan, my first child, was born six weeks early, weighing four-and-a-half pounds. I think my first thoughts as a mother were for her safety and health. Those thoughts, of course, never change, no matter how old your children are.

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years? Twenty years? In ten years, I see myself as a very active mother of teenagers, being involved in their lives at school, home, and play. I hope to open my home to their friends, and be the kind of mother they are comfortable talking to about their problems. Megan will be a senior in high school, deciding where to attend college, and that will be an adventure. Gavin and Ben will be almost 15 and 11. What an incredible thought. In twenty years, I will still be in my forties and my children will have (hopefully!) left home for bigger and better things. I have no idea what I will be doing, but I'm sure it will be fabulous. I am inspired by women like Julia Child (I just watched Julie & Julia last night), who began careers later in life by pursuing a passion.

8. Most challenging aspect of motherhood: Motherhood is never what you think it will be. Children are individuals who make their own choices and a lot of things are out of your control. The daily aspects of motherhood, especially when children are young, are often exhausting, sometimes boring, and occasionally disgusting. Joy comes when you appreciate the small, wonderful moments, which happen constantly if you look for them.






Lauren played guitar at our outdoor reception. Did I mention she was in an all-girl band in Provo when she was at BYU? She's really cool.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your sister, she reminds me of you. Good women are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know she was so multi-talented! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete