Saturday, May 16, 2009

I love living here

I went to a WIC appointment last week. I love how much WIC supports breastfeeding, in spite of most of their money going to formula. The two ladies that did my certification were black, and one was from Sierra Leone. They both lectured me on breastfeeding, and the lady from Sierra Leone told me she breastfed her babies for two years each, and they are so healthy, no allergies, and they are SMART kids. She was a riot, and both women were so kind to me and I felt right at home despite feeling a little uncomfortable when I first arrived being the only white person around besides volunteers. And then they gave me this, I cherish it, and I will keep it forever (maybe pass it on a friend):




I'm not sure why it makes me so happy. Maybe because I secretly wish I were African-American. Or maybe because the little black babies in the book are so much cuter than white babies. Either way. I like it.

The other awesome thing: I get to see these two hilarious women in a few weeks when the seminar students go do a service project at this place (called Mary's Center). It will be, for me at least, a little reciprocity.

No comments:

Post a Comment