Thursday, May 7, 2009

Circumcision

Cait's already posted a bit on this, but since I'm the husband I have the final word.

After doing a fair amount of research I've drawn some conclusions. There are fairly substantial arguments on both sides, backed up by a fair amount of research (although both sides are a little lacking in this area). Blood loss and infection on one side and urinary tract infections and sexually transmitted diseases on the other among many other arguments.

After reading all of this information, I remained unconvinced about which side is better. I am confident however in having a no cosmetic surgery policy on my children unless there are strong reasons for doing it and I don't see enough information on the pro-circumcision side to convince me that such an operation is necessary. So, as of now, I think we'll not go with the circumcision.

Now I just have to convince Cait.

PS I don't make the decisions in our family, we both do and Cait needs no convincing. I just thought those two sentences were funny.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! You are one of the few that made a well informed decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, you and your baby boy(s) will be increasingly pleased with the decision to go for intact kids as years go by.

    As research proves the value of the foreskin t gentral health as well as better safer sex and as men who are restoring foreskins say how much better they fell and how it improves their marriages you'll feel more and more affirmed in the 'intact' choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll be happy w/ your decision. You can always have your son circumcised later on if he needed it/wanted it, but you can't "undo" it once it's done. If you circumcised it and the procedure went wrong and he really hated it, then what could you do??? Better to leave him natural in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I found this site very helpful when struggling with the decision for our son. My husband is circumcised so yes, we did have some doubts, but in the end we decided not to circumcise our son. This site addressed some of the religious concerns I had and I now feel confident that circumcision is not something a Christian needs to do.
    Good luck!
    http://udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the mother of two circumcised boys, I would not do it. It's kind of pointless, and really, it's a penis. How attractive is cutting off a piece of skin going to make it? We initially circumcised Gavin because Chris was, and then Ben because Gavin was, but if I knew I'd have two boys I would have left them the way they came.

    Caitlin, I'm with Tim on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Tim too. It was actually my position in the first place. I had to convince him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I support your decision too! I have two young sons, ages 7 and 3 -- neither are circumcised. Our decision was the result of careful research -- and watching online video of a circumcision. It was disturbing to watch, and unthinkable to subject our babies to being strapped down and scalpel taken to their tiny penises. I am happy with our decision. Your son will thank you...my 7-year old already does!

    ReplyDelete