Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My weight problems

Okay, so they're not really problems. And if they are, I'm sure they're problems that other people would love to have. I'm just the opposite of fat. My BMI hovers between 18.7-19.5, just bordering (and sometimes dipping under) the underweight line. My body fat is between 6-7%. The last time I got a blood pressure rating, they had to take it 3 times because it was too low to give blood. (I finally ended up with 111/62 after a couple 95/49) My cholesterol, if I remember right having that tested was also extremely low. So basically, I'm just skinny. I also, at times, am a serious runner, and so that only makes the problem worse. All my life I've tried to get bigger. Once, my senior year in high school, when I was training really hard and trying to keep muscle tone, I tracked my caloric intake methodically for a week. I knew I was eating a lot, so when I estimated on some things, I tried to estimate low. At the end of the week I was averaging 8,000 calories a day. Now, I don't think I'm eating quite that much now, but I'm definitely no where near 2,000 calories. So it's not for lack of trying. I imagine it's just a metabolism thing, and one day it's going to slow down and I'll get fat. Maybe. But for now, being very skinny, and rather poor, I take my caloric intake seriously. I also try to get vitamins and minerals and what not, but I'm mainly concerned with calories. So, I thought it would be fun to keep track on here of foods with the most calories for the buck and try to find new and and more dense foods, mostly on campus. I'll try to post these new finds.

But for now, the classics:

My favorite: Seven layer burrito from Taco Bell. At 480 calories for $2.16 without tax, it comes in at 222 calories per dollar. or C/$.

Regular old burrito from Taco Bell: 350 C/$. Doesn't taste nearly as good as the seven layer, but a better deal apparently.

Veggie delight footlong sub from subway: 98 C/$.

Welch's fruit snacks mixed fruit: 128 C/$.

Grandma's Homestyle Fudge Chocolate Chip: 340 C/$.

Grandma's Homestyle Chocolate Chip: 380 C/$ which is surprising, because you think the fudge of the fudge chocolate chip would add instead of taking away. I guess now I know.

Planters $.60 bag of peanuts from the vending machine: 483 C/$.

Some good finds, I think.

And P.S. now we're tied with Lauren for most posts in 2009 in blogs that I read. I can't speak for Caitlin.

P.P.S. Yes, I know it isn't a competition.

P.P.P.S. But it is.

2 comments:

  1. I think Cait needs to blog i miss hearing from her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been drinking lots of smoothies to help keep the weight on. Sams sells a giant bag of frozen fruit and I blend that with yogurt, a banana, and some OJ. Hard to calculate the C/$, but hopefully it'll work and I won't lose a bunch of weight like I did when I was nursing Gavin. Nuts, beans, lean protein, lots of fruit, veggies and carbs. Empty calories, like in junk food, aren't any good for yo.

    ReplyDelete