Monday, February 21, 2011

Splurging

I've been happily spending money lately. When we took a look at our finances recently, we realized that we are in pretty decent shape, and there are a few things I've wanted for a while. So, I've decided to heck with it! I'm buying them!

On Saturday, we went to IKEA to buy a new mattress. We haven't bought a mattress ever since we've been married, but slept on really quite old mattresses Tim's mom passed on to us. So, we've been sleeping on a full bed. With Theodore. It's been a squeeze and we haven't gotten decent sleep in a while. One of us inevitably ended up sleeping on the couch cushions in the living room during the night. We should have bought a new mattress a long time ago. We are now sleeping in style on this baby. The first night we brought it home, I slept SO WELL (maybe it was the medication we dosed Theodore up on, but we all slept well Saturday night). It's really firm, which is good for my back, but also cradles your shoulders and hips perfectly. And it was on sale for $299, plus it was "eat for free" at IKEA day which means you deduct your meal purchase from the home furnishings purchase, and let's just say we invited Melissa and Casey and spent $55 on IKEA food. It was so, so great. So great.

Also, I'm probably (most likely) getting a KitchenAid mixer. I've been making bread dough in the bread maker, then baking it in the oven, but it's kind of a pain. Yesterday I made homemade naan and some delicious cookies in Melissa's KitchenAid and I think I'm convinced. I did not really understand how much faster and easier things are in a mixer... I figured mixing up cookie dough and cake batter is easy enough, so why get a fancy contraption to do it for you? But it's faster because you can start it mixing while you find your other ingredients and measure and dump them in. I foresee much more baking in our future...

Finally, I'm buying an expensive blending machine. Probably a VitaMix, but maybe a BlendTec. I'm going to shop around. I love smoothies more than anything in the summer time, and our blender just plain sucks. And not having to peel, chop, etc. before I make the smoothies would make my life much easier and healthier. Plus, you can grind wheat, make soups and salsas and pestos, baby food, etc. etc. etc. The possibilities are endless with these machines.

But first things first: a new dwelling to fit all of these wants. Currently working on that.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Saving is smart, but sometime shopping is just plain fun! We finally bought a newe camera adn I'm wondering why we didn't do it sooner, I love it so much! You'll have to tell me about the blenders you look at- I need a new one badly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon just got a blendtec for work, but right now it lives at our house. It is awesome. We make green smoothies every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a Blendtec vs. Vitamix post. I have been eyeing those for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those are all great important things! :) Plus i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my kitchen aid seriously makes cooking so much easier and saves so much time and who does not want more time! :)

    ReplyDelete