Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sports

The Giants won the world series last night and that has me thinking about sports and the place it has in my life. We moved to California when I was around 9 and were there for a year and half. It was in this time that my love of sport, especially baseball, really bloomed. We were in the heart of Giants country, living just a ways outside of San Francisco. I only went to one game but I followed a ton of games on the radio or on our tiny TV. It was a great time. I was pretty obsessed with sports for a few years after that, watching a lot of Jazz games and BYU sports. Since than, my interest in sports has waned. It probably started when I realized I wasn't great at sports and the only sport I was any good at, running, was never on TV, except during the Olympics (which I still love to watch). My life also has become progressively busier since high school, although there were a few months Senior Year which might just have been as busy as any.

So now, I'm left with the question of what to do with sport. I still enjoy them, but I feel that unless I'm really following a sport and paying attention to the behind the scenes stuff, watching an individual game is not worth the time. The one exception is BYU basketball and football. I've been working on the event staff since last year's football season and have been able to get paid to read books and watch all the home games. Occupationally, to break up homework I'll read up about the teams and so I feel involved enough to make it the games a worthwhile experience, whether I was getting paid or not.

Cait has never been a fan of sports and doesn't really understand my interest in them. She has said a few times that "I didn't know I was marrying someone who likes sports." Actually, when we got married, I was on a one year no sports vow, to see if I could just cut them out of my life for good. I did so succesfully, but working on the event staff (the only job I could get at the time) renewed my interest.

So, what do you think about sports? Waste of time or good entertainment? How much is too much? Are there sports more worth watching than others?

PS I'm in favor of participating in sports, although the over-competition sometimes gets to me. That might be another post though.

2 comments:

  1. I like sports but do not care to watch any of it on TV or even attend games. I have to say that I am relieved that I married someone who doesn't love to watch sports. Or even LIKE to. My husband is so busy that whenever he has free time he says he prefers to spend it with me. I usually feel sorry for women that have to put with men that follow every sport televised.

    But, I am also a big fan of participating in sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like so many forms of entertainment and/or physical activity, it's all about how it fits into your family and personal life, and how it complements, not takes the place of the "best things".

    Christopher and I both happen to love sports, so that works well as a fun date-type activity for us. I didn't watch a single baseball game until the World Series and still enjoyed watching the Giants win, so I think you can watch here and there and still find enjoyment.

    If you enjoy sports and Caitlin doesn't, you'll have to reach a compromise, or maybe it will be just your thing. It's healthy to have a few interests that your spouse doesn't share. Whatevs.

    Playing sports, I have mixed feelings about. It seems Christopher doesn't want to exercise unless it's a sport, which I think is a little ridiculous, but then I don't mind walking or swimming or other types of straight exercise. Also, he has a tendency to injure himself playing sports. But, he loves it, so if he wants to, I can support him, especially if he can include our children as they get older and make it special father-kid time (I'm thinking about golf, for example, when our kids are old enough to caddy or even play).

    ReplyDelete