Monday, June 1, 2009

Lauren's germy little kids passed something to me this weekend. I feel horrible. My throat is on fire and my body is achy and weak. My nose is starting to stuff. I have not been sick like this in a while... and definitely not in the summertime. I blame it on the fact she made me use soap with triclosan and now there is some mutated bacteria eating away at my insides. Luckily I have a great guy that I'm living with that has made me carrot-ginger-mushroom soup and blueberry-orange-strawberry smoothies. It's a temporary fix, but I'm deteriorating quickly. I hate to call in sick to work though, even when I am really sick. I think it's because I feel like I have something to prove as a pregnant college student that I can do just as much as any other college student intern. I probably will try to work a few hours like I did today, but I know I need to take it easy or I'll never get better. Meanwhile, I'll keep chugging down those smoothies and demand more of this soup.

And is triclosan really bad for us? What about alcohol hand sanitizers. I don't know. Lauren seems to think it prevents her kids from getting sick because of its powerful germ-killing agents. They even have it in their toothpaste. She thinks the triclosan-is-bad is a conspiracy by the granoley parents. I don't know either way, there is really not a whole lot of conclusive evidence to prove it's bad, but there probably wasn't a whole lot of conclusive evidence to prove thalidomide bad either at the time. Better safe than sorry I think, or like this article says, better germs than cancer. If triclosan and tap water really do = carcinogen, I'd prefer to avoid it. I'll stick with Tom and Dr. Bronner.

4 comments:

  1. Alcohol-based antibacterial soaps, such as Purell, do not carry the same risks of antibiotic resistance and dioxin contamination as triclosan-containing products.

    From: http://www.grinningplanet.com/2005/10-04/triclosan-article.htm

    Maybe I'll start buying regular soap. But the hand sanitizer is just ethyl alcohol.

    And perhaps I'll talk Christopher into switching toothpastes. He doesn't do such things lightly. He's been using Colgate Total for 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. You probably got sick from all the germs on the bus/metro and spread it to US!!!

    We probably all have swine flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, comparing triclosan to thalidomide is a bad comparison. Thalidomide was a drug. You don't ingest soap. Or toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kids were sick before we even got there, I don't think I gave it to them. And the hand sanitizer probably is better than the triclosan soap, you're right. But you should only use it when it's absolutely impossible to wash your hands with soap and water, because it kills germs but doesn't clean your hands from dirt and other yuck.

    ReplyDelete